Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on very low light plants

Posted by jwahlton 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 7, 11 at 11:33

My house has literally no light coming in from the windows. I do have a bay window, but outside is a huge oak tree, so filtered light is coming in there. I'd like to put two matching floor plants there, but don't know which to get at Home Depot. So please give me some advice!

Thanks

Julia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on very low light plants

You could try Sansevieria trifasciata, the old standby that will survive just about anything.
You might consider other forest floor plants such as Aglaonema.

o

Hi,

Floor sized plants sound large, if I were you I'd buy & try ONE plant & see how it fares before you buy TWO large ones (unless you've got money to burn).

You may have to try several plants before settling on one which doesn't mind the lack of light.

o

S. Trifasciata will probably work.

o

• Posted by donaldb 5B Worcester MA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 8, 11 at 13:20

dracaenas
pothos
syngoniums
Chinese Evergreen
Peace lily
Calatheas
Birds nest fern
Aglaonemas
amioculcas
Wandering Jew, the Spider Plant, Rosary Vine and the Purple Heart
Yucca, Philodendron, Asparagus Fern, Cyclamen and various other ferns
Plants for the north window:
Aglaonema, maidenhair, aspidistra, asparagus, Aucuba, begonias angular biota eastern, gelksina, edged dracaena, dracaena fragrant, zigokaktus, saxifrage, Kalanchoe, karaguata red, groundsel krupnoyazychkovy (not variegated), ligodium Japanese, Monstera, Maranta, Peperomia rotundifolia, Peperomia gray and tupolistnaya, nightshade, paportniki, ivy, passionflower, sansevieriya, Epipremnum aureum, spatifillyum, selaginella, tolma, fatshidera, Fatsa, dwarf ficus, philodendron scansorial, Fitton, tsissus rombolistny, cineraria.

o

Sorry, but I MUST take exception to the above post.

First, the OP mentioned "two matching floor plants" which suggests large plants. Many of those you cite are not large.

Also, I have to disagree that these will do OK in VERY low light.

Those you've listed w/ which I disagree (not low light plants): let's not make problems for the OP:

Wandering Jew, Spider Plant, Rosary Vine

Asparagus Fern,

Don't know about a north window by zigokaktus (see more modern name, Xmas or Thanksgiving cactus,

Kalanchoe (not low light), ficus, philodendron, FittonIA,

Let's pls. try not to spread incorrect info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here