Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixie_woman

How to clone Staghorn Philodendron ??

Dixie_Woman
10 years ago

I've had this plant since it was a seedling in 1972. She fell over from her own weight and has sent roots down to anchor her in this position, How can I propigate her? Her 24" by 18" leaves are too big for me to attempt leaf cuttings. Please tell me.

Comments (7)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Dixie...I've never heard of Staghorn Philodendron.

Do you have a photo?

Perhaps your plant is Staghorn Fern?

Without an ID, it's impossible giving propagation instructions. Toni

• summersunlight
    10 years ago

Yes, sometimes common names are confusing since different people call the same plant different things.
    Are you possibly referring to a Philodendron bipinnatifidum? (Link goes to a page with photos to help confirm this).
    Alternately, I'm wondering if you might be referring to the plant known as Monstera deliciosa AKA "Swiss cheese plant". That plant is often called a "philodendron" even though it's really a monstera. :) It can be very large and can form aerial roots, which is why I am wondering

GENERALLY speaking, if a branch has produced new roots, then you probably could cut that branch and put it in its own pot, but it would be easier to say for sure if we knew what species this is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Page about P. bipinnatifidum with photos!

This post was edited by summersunshine on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 14:42

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

Take a cutting that includes a healthy leaf at the top and at least 1 node below that cutting - 2 below would be better. Remove any leaves from the bottom node(s) by cutting through the leaf's petiole a couple of inches away from the main stem. Remove 1/2 - 3/4 of the leaf by cutting across venation and stick the cutting - use a well-aerated soil that you can keep moist w/o having to worry about over-watering. Within a short time, the cutting will root and a new branch/stem/leader will appear in the axil of the trimmed leaf. You want to do this when the plant's energy reserves are high - not now, when they are at the lowest level of the growth cycle. June or early July offers the fastest and highest certainty of success.

You could start an air layer now, so roots will already be formed when you take the cutting.

Al

• dellis326 (Danny)
    10 years ago

A photo would really help.

If this is a Meconostigma type of Philodendron, a Tree type, (Which is what P. bipinnatifidum is) you probably cannot propagate a new plant from a stem cutting. Usually only a rooted pup will start a new plant. If there are aerial roots growing from the stem high enough up you can try air layering by wrapping damp sphagnum moss around the stem at the base of the air roots and then wrapping plastic wrap over that, keep it damp, not too wet,all the time and when you see new white roots growing in the moss you can cut the stem below the wrap and plant it up. Might work, might not

Leaf cutting won't work with these plants.

If it is a vine type of philodendron, a Monstera or Rhaphidophora, both of which are commonly misidentified as philodendrons, then you can easily take cuttings from the stem.

Or you can get a couple of lengths of bamboo and prop it up by tying it to the bamboo.

• Dixie_Woman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More details: Plant ID: philodendron bipinnatifidum example photos at http://www.therainforestgarden.com/2010/03/plant-profile-split-leaf-philodendron.html Plant heigth = 80 inches (incl. pot) and width = 90 inches. SINGLE STEM. Comment: "Cut leaf" is not accurate description, leaf is lobed (like an American Oak) with a ripple all along the edges.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raidforest Garden Plant Profile

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

so, yours matches P.bipinnatifidum?
    can you post the pic of your plant?
    the whole plant and also trunk with may be aerial roots, if any?

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

If it is Philodendron bipinnatifidum you can't simply take a cutting, it will just die. Dellis is correct. The only way it will work is if what you take off already has a developed root system. They're different to most other Philodendrons.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH