Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Well, that's weird! That's not what I planned.

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 12:30

I'm expecting some people to have this thought after seeing my post about my plans for putting some house plants in the ground this summer (well, that's weird!) I don't mind.

What have you seen that's weird regarding house plants?
What plans have gone differently?
What's the weirdest thing you've ever done to a plant? (Stories about leaving them outside for winter are a dime'a'dozen, so although those are awesome, please, something more exotic regarding anecdotes.)

The last really "out there" thing I can recall doing is last summer. I have had this beautiful Drac. marginata that I got as a baby, annual "spikes." I watched it grow a beautiful strong trunk for almost 10 years, and 2 secondary tops from the crown.

Then I decided it would look really cool if the tall part was spiraled instead of straight up. So I stuck a coat hanger up through one of the holes in the bottom, and started mangling wiring it with a pretty hard bend very low on the trunk. After a couple weeks, it was staying that way pretty well, so I went in to bend more of it, to get the spiral really going, and snapped the whole thing off. Now it looks like a boy, if you know what I mean...

So now I have a much shorter dual-trunk tree, and tons of little ones around and given away. Not at all bad, but not what I had planned. One might also think the way I planted it a few inches higher to see that awesome crown juncture is weird. I do too, but couldn't resist. A boy needs legs. It's been that way for about 6 months so if it was bothered, the tree would have let me know by now, I think...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Well, that's weird! That's not what I planned.

Pretty plant Purple

o

Purple, that looks eye-catching! I have been meaning to add another Dracaena stem or two to my single "tree". Never got around to it but seeing this photo, I'm definitely going to do it. Two looks so much nicer than one. And like the crown sticking out! :-D You're shooting for a Dracaena bonsai there.

o

Thanks, and thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here