Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Well, that's weird! That's not what I planned.

I'm expecting some people to have this thought after seeing my post about my plans for putting some house plants in the ground this summer (well, that's weird!) I don't mind.

What have you seen that's weird regarding house plants?
What plans have gone differently?
What's the weirdest thing you've ever done to a plant? (Stories about leaving them outside for winter are a dime'a'dozen, so although those are awesome, please, something more exotic regarding anecdotes.)

The last really "out there" thing I can recall doing is last summer. I have had this beautiful Drac. marginata that I got as a baby, annual "spikes." I watched it grow a beautiful strong trunk for almost 10 years, and 2 secondary tops from the crown.

Then I decided it would look really cool if the tall part was spiraled instead of straight up. So I stuck a coat hanger up through one of the holes in the bottom, and started mangling wiring it with a pretty hard bend very low on the trunk. After a couple weeks, it was staying that way pretty well, so I went in to bend more of it, to get the spiral really going, and snapped the whole thing off. Now it looks like a boy, if you know what I mean...

So now I have a much shorter dual-trunk tree, and tons of little ones around and given away. Not at all bad, but not what I had planned. One might also think the way I planted it a few inches higher to see that awesome crown juncture is weird. I do too, but couldn't resist. A boy needs legs. It's been that way for about 6 months so if it was bothered, the tree would have let me know by now, I think...

Comments (3)