Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamora_gw

wow-- have i been gone that long?? lol

Lamora
11 years ago

Hi everyone-- boy, get on and everything is changed!! didn't have to use my p/w even,, wow.. very impressed! :)

But I do need some help with somethng tho. My Hoya Cornosa is growing a very long "stem" (almost 3 ft.) and I am not sure what to do with it. I have been looking for something to attach it to, a trellis like thing, but can't seem to come up with any ideas. I don't have any dowels at this time, but I am thinking that would be the best bet. or would a wire be better. The pot is kinda small for just about anything, but don't want to repot it till Spring gets here.
{{gwi:73352}}
not the best picture, could not get the whole thing in.

but what do you think?
Marjie :)

Comments (15)

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Wind guards they have an open round top on top of a metal dowel would be better wrap or wire it on to a 1/2 inch wide wood strapping if you have some

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Lamora & Welcome back.

Don't attach it to anything pls. just let that grow. It's a bare vine, which will fill in w/ leaves w/ a bit more time.

Then if you like you can wrap it around the pot OR leave it as is.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Not my kind of plant but wanted to say Hi!! Glad 2 c u here today.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Glad to see you Marjie. :) I agree with PG, just allow the named vine to produce it's leaves then wrap it around something if that's what you want.

Planto

• Lamora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, glad to be back too, :)

so I just leave it alone for now? ok, that I can do, it has some leaves developing on it already, kinda neat, cat thinks so too-- silly thing.

So now I need to make another hanging pot holder. Think i can do it for that small of a pot. Just need the stuff. Just keep it a trailing plant? I was just wondering about it cuz it wants to head towards the light, grabbing all the other plants on the way, doesn't want to hang down, but i guess that comes in time.

OK I can do that. Thanks for the advice :)

Marjie

11 years ago

Never had one of these but I am curious why there's such a strong feeling against giving this a trellis or other upright condition. I don't understand why UP isn't an option with this particular plant. I thought it was a vine, and would like to know what y'all know that I don't. Been on the fence about getting this plant... so kind of asking for me, too.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey Purple.

Nobody said no, can't grow it upright (Oh wait, I guess I did).
    Hoyas have different growth habits, best to watch what they do than try & impose what one may want. But also some of us know they grow well left to climb as they wish, especially before the leaves fill in. Sometimes, if one anchors it turned down inadvertently, it'll cause that vine to die back.

Some Hoyas grow upright & climb while other Hoyas hang & trail. Also some start to hang w/ time as they grow heavier & thicker over time.

Pls. look around at Hoya Forum or search online abt U-shaped Bamboo trellises some Hoya growers use. I'm just not one of them, don't really have the height to spare in my apmt.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Marjie,
    I agree with PG, some hoyas are more clingy (like yours, they want to grab ahold and wrap around other things) whereas others like to just hang there. I believe Hoya DS-70 is one that likes to hang (doesn't cling to things), whereas a H. carnosa likes to grab ahold of something and climb. Me personally, I don't like it climbing on things and wrapping around, makes it difficult if you change your mind to unwrap it from something. But, nothing wrong if you like that "style," everyone is different.

Here's a photo of one of my H. carnosas ('Krimson Queen'). I think in time if the vines get heavy enough (with enough leaves), they will fall but they'll still try to cling to something if they find something to hold onto. I have two vines currently that are sticking in the air. Mine looks rather busy because I have long vines that I've looped back over the pot. If I un-looped them, they'd be almost touching the floor.

Planto

• Lamora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, sorry it took so long to get back here, keyboard is being real stupid lately, couldn't type in anything but FaceBook!!

Anyway, It now has leaves, growing real nice, and it will hang down now, but the silly cats likes to play with it, (for a lack of any other place to put it right now) so I have it leaning on the shelf above for now. I am hoping to get a hanging pot hanger for it soon and just let it trail.

It only is one plant tho, would love to get some more and make it a larger plant. I don't want to cut this one up for starters, I love it the way it is, just want more! lol

plantomaniac08 -- your plant is so pretty, so you just put the vines wrapped around the pot? hope mine looks that good soon-- :)

Thanks again for all the advice and imput.
    Marjie

11 years ago

Hey Marjie, thanks for the update! Sorry your computer is acting up. Do you think the cats had anything to do with it? Ha! Stranger things have happened.

Apparently our dog is so heavy, he's completely smushed my compost pile into an unrecognizable dark spot. It was still about 3 ft. high until he decided it would be a good place to doze. So glad I spent all of that time laying sheet metal from the abandoned shed net door, gathering OM from here and other people's yards, getting ate up adding to and turning it, and usually ending up doing an ant dance too when going anywhere near it.

Thanks for the info about the vines, PG and Planto!

And that IS a fantastic looking plant, Planto! It looks like it has antennae. And there's that pretty plant stand again.

PG, I've always thought your apartment was pretty cool, from what one can see in the plant pics around here, but wish you more plant space sometime!

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

hi lamora! im a amateur hoya grower. i perferr the hanging baskett. it is easier to repot. your hoya is more of a trailer than a climber

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Marjie,
    I was wondering where you disappeared off to again. ;) Yep, there are multiple vines in the pot (multiple plants) and since some vines are so long I've taken them and ran them back over the pot (have to find a good set of leaves to mix the vine in with so it stays in place). Makes it look fuller Imo and keeps the vines from dragging on the ground. Thanks for he compliment. :)

Purple,
    Thanks also for the compliment. :) Yeah they do look like antennae. I figure one day they'll get enough leaves and become heavy enough they'll lay down. I actually have two of those plant stands now (they look the same), hut one is taller and wider.... now I'm up to 5-6 plant stands... 6 if you want to include this pplant stand I just got that holds two plants and looks like a bicycle.

Planto

• Lamora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hi again, quick before I can't type again!! stupid something or other, can type on FB, (facebook) but not on forums or email!! That is why i am not on so much, we have a "key scrambler" that is really messing with me lately. it either types what the KS is doing-- or not at all. Refreshing is getting tiresome and that doesnt work all the time-- wish i could blame the cat!!

This is something else, my dh thinks i need a new keyboard and mouse-- mouse? yes! keyboard? not so sure. So if I am not on alot, that is why. It LOVES FB!! I am trying to stay off that! takes too much time!! lol

Well I guess I have time to think if i want it trailing or trellis. I love both ideas for it. Seen pictures of both. will prob let it trail tho.

But thanks for the advice-- and ideas-- very much apprecieated :)

Marjie

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Well sorry to hear all your 'puter trouble. I'm breaking in a new laptop myself, so I understand some of your frustration, like about the getting used to such a different feeling keyboard.

Anyway, thinking abt this thread, I realized I forgot to mention something. Kind of makes the point for Purple in a way; it's said that in the wild, Hoyas naturally grow UP trees into the canopy. So that would certainly speak to them being climbers, rather than trailers. Just thought I better get that said. Others know more abt this than I and are better read on the places of origin of particular Hoyas, but from all I see & read, that is their habit.

11 years ago

"Just thought I better get that said." LOL!

Marjie, blame the cat anyway!