Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dracaena

Posted by gailmaison none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 12:58

I have a Dracaena that is starting to flower. Does this mean that it will die after flowering like some (yucca) tropicals do ?? If so, will removing the flower before it is fully blown save the plant ??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dracaena

Congragulations, they bloom only under decent conditions. Open the windows! The fragrance is overpowering. After flowering, the tops die and the plant grows side shoots

o

You may want to look at this discussion, Gail. Someday I hope to smell one of these famous blooms! Congrats!

o

WOW !! How exciting !
This plant is growing in my workplace...I have been the plant caretaker for a year now. I just e-mailed the previous caretaker to see if it ever bloomed before. hoping whe will come over and check it out. We are a large "one room' building...a bus terminal actually.Floor to ceiling windows everywhere. the plant is basically in the middle of the room. It is winter in northern Michigan and the sun is a rare commodity, thoough we've seen more of it this winter than in many previous winters.
Can't wait for the fragrance.!! I am the bldg opener in the morning so I'm waiting for the morning I come in and there it is...the fragrance !!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here