Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chamaedorea leafless stalks...?

Posted by Soleil.Blume.Hooke 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 12:59

I've had this potted group planting for a couple years now.
It includes anthurium lily, a wax/rubber vine, prince philodendrum, some sedge looking variegated grasses and chamaedorea.
Lately, the chamaedorea has been shooting up these leafless stalks.
At first, I thought some one stuck a fake flower stem in the pot. But within a few days there were seven of them. They're doing nothing ...
Is this occurrence normal?
There are tiny palms in the center of the plant, which seem to grow bigger. I've never noticed it shoot these leafless, green stalks out before.
I'm baffled. Can anyone shed some light for me? My Internet searches have been in vain.

Here is a link that might be useful: (here's three pictures if you click to the beginning, towards the left)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chamaedorea leafless stalks...?

By the picture, they look like the beginnings of new leaves. It looks very healthy - I presume that is the plant itself?

o

That is the plant ... Those are new leaves? Forgive my ignorance, I thought the leaves popped out already bearing leaves. Can't find any description or reference or picture on the Internet. I just thought that was strange. Never saw it do that.

o

The leaves are all there, they're folded up. When it gets as tall as it is going to, they will unfold from the stalk/petiole. Looks good! Your Canna pic is amazing!!

o

Very neat! I guess there's different sizes ... Will be interesting to watch them unfold. Thank you. And thanks for the compliment! (I took pictures of my sisters wedding bouquet but not the wedding ... Lol) hoping to store all the flower pics on flickr .... Chamadorea sure is an interesting one. (:

o

Yes, they're usually referred to as "crown shafts", or just "spears". Most palms produce new fronds that way.

o

Just curious if you're seeing any change in your "spear" yet, Soleil?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here