Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What houseplant is this?

Posted by river251 8-9 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 19, 12 at 12:59

Hello, I picked up a very nice plant at the grocery for $10, but it has no identifying info. I want to look up care and feeding, so would appreciate it if anybody recognizes what this is. Here are some pics also linked in the link "plant" at the end:

http://www-psych.nmsu.edu/~jkroger/lab/plant_pics.html

Thanks,
Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: plant

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What houseplant is this?

It'd be easier ID'ing if you snapped a picture of the plant you bought.

This is a total guess, but it could pass for False Aralia/dizgotheca.

Can you post a pic of your plant? Toni

o

Hi, those pics are of my plant. Did they not show?
thanks
Jim

o

That is an Aralia, also known as Polyscias Ming or Ming Aralia.

Not the easiest of plants, can be temperamental. Folks say they don't like to be moved & they can drop leaves sometimes when moved.

I'm guessing those pix are not of the plant you bought? Seems mighty large. I believe they like bright, indirect light, not strong sun. They benefit from use of a pebble tray.

I grow a relative of theirs Balfour Aralia, a rounded leaf plant which takes similar care.

o

Jim, yes they showed, but I was expecting to see a little plant in a small container. lol..Sorry. Toni

o

river251, I am going to tread very carefully here and say that the plant in the top left hand photograph - the one that clearly shows the plant in an indoor floor planter - is a Ming Aralia
Scientific Name: Polyscias fruticosa (L.) Harms
Synonym:Nothopanax fruticosus
Family: Araliaceae
And that is no $5.00 plant!!

o

Heh, thanks everyone for the help. I googled Ming Aralia and found some closeups that erase all doubt, that's definitly what it is. All pics are the same plant, about as clear as I can get on my phone.

I almost tripped over it leaving Albertson's grocery store and thought it was a nice plant. I checked on the price and it was only $10 so I grabbed it, I like getting plants I'm not familiar with. They had 3 of them but they were all gone the next day.

Now I know how to find its care and feeding...it will join my indoor forest...

Thanks again,
Jim

o

Hiya Jim,

You're welcome. Are you telling us you bought that LARGE one for $10? Holy smokes, a deal & a half there!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here