Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aging hard water

Posted by asleep_in_the_garden (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 13:02

The place I'm staying at right now refuses to soften the water and I'm sure that even though the damage to skin and hair is the last thing the administration is conserned with,they'd be even less worried about what it will do to my plants.

Can I effectively age the water by letting it stand in a bucket for a while?
I know that chlorine will leach out in around three hours or so but I've no idea about what else is in there or if it will evaporate at all.

I have my fish to worry about as well.

Any info will be most helpful! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aging hard water

Minerals in water will not evaporate out. Softened water will also cause problems with your fish because of the salts used in ion exchange.

You can use peat to soften water safely for fish. Might be fine for plant use as well.

o

If your water has chloramine instead of chlorine it will never evaporate away.

tj

o

Does your place have tap water or well water? It's hard to deal with combating the stuff in the water if you're not sure what it is.

Can you catch some rain or use distilled? I think that's easier than trying to combat whatever's in the tap. (I'm not a fish person, so only advising regarding plants.)

o

• Posted by dsws none (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 15:58

If you have a dehumidifier, it will give you quite a bit of distilled water. I haven't tried to figure the cost, but electricity is pretty cheap.

o

Thanks for the input everyone,..and purp,..I'm seriously thinking about collecting snow even if it means a snowman's worth will yeild a cup of water. Not even sure if that's much of an exaggerration. lol

o

Awww man that's desperate when Frosty is needed as a sacrifice. Just don't fall asleep out there!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here