Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frugalfanny

Teeny Triumphs, New Additions, and Keeping Busy

FrugalFanny
11 years ago

I was getting on here to make this post when I found asarumgreenpandas post about propagating in the dead of winter, so I guess I'm not the only one on that wavelength right now.

I wanted to start a thread where we could share our plants' teeny triumphs, ie. new growth, our new additions that have been brought into our homes (maybe against our better judgement) because we so crave more and more green around us during these dark and dreary months, and how we're keeping busy with our plants, be it propagating, re-potting, grooming, etc.

So I ask you to share pictures/stories about how plants are helping you keep the winter blues at bay.

I will start by sharing my new additions that have found their way home with me since November.

Comments (34)

• FrugalFanny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That 1st photo is, I'm pretty sure, Sansevieria "Bantel's Sensation", which I got as a rescue from the "drought or drowning" rack at Lowes for $1! This one is a Schlumbergera hybrid that will actually be a gift to someone else, but I may have to grab a little piece first!

• FrugalFanny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These teeny babies could only have come directly from spores! So cute!

• FrugalFanny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This so-called "jungle cactus" came from the same place as the staghorn fern babies. Any ideas of its ID? So far I think it could be a rhipsalis, but I have no idea what type, if it even is one. I was happy to find that the cuttings are decently rooted. Just since re-potting a few days ago, it looks like one of the cuttings is beginning to put on new growth from the very tip!

• FrugalFanny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some NOID aloe pups

• FrugalFanny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Schlumbergera cuttings. This hybrid was labeled "Harmony".

• FrugalFanny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Hummel's Sunset" Jade plant from a fresh shipment at H.D.

This is the latest addition. Now it's your turn!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Loved your staghorn fern babies! Within the past 24 hours, I now think I've seen the smallest and biggest ones out there. Saw one at garden center yesterday that was about as big as a beer cooler, had stuff hanging all the way to the floor from just above eye level, would take at least 2 men to move this thing. Must take camera next time. Didn't know they're going to change stuff in there so quickly.

Does that "Harmony" cactus usually have leaves that color? That's an amazingly attractive fuchsia hue.

Not much going on I haven't already reported, but here's a Coleus stump I rescued after Jack Frost came by. Glad I did, this plant's gonna rock this summer. Looks like there's a little Oxalis bulb in there too.

• Sarah1502
    11 years ago

Hi! It's been raining here for almost 48 hours. We need the rain, badly, but it certainly has made things messy. I saw this little sans on the clearance rack at Lowes. I try not to look at those sad plants. However this one was calling out to me. It was drowning from being over watered. I haven't found any rotting on the leaves or roots, yet. I took it out of the container, removed the saturated soil and have it drying on newspaper in the brightest room of my house. Hopefully it will pull through. Just that little bit of 'gardening' helped make my day better. This is a busy, frustrating, time of year for me (tax season) and I need all the plant therapy I can get.

• FrugalFanny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purple and Sarah, thanks so much for sharing!

Purple, nice rescue! What a beautiful coleus. I had a betta fish named Coleus for his beautiful colors that reminded me of the plant. I don't think the "Harmony" Schlumbergera is normally that color. Maybe it's from being severely neglected, or it could be due to the chilly window it was in. I do agree, though, I love that color, and the leaves are very thick as well. I guess that once it roots and starts putting on new growth we'll find out what color it really is.

Sarah, Sans. are one of my favorite plant groups. I'm sure yours will do well once it has new soil and lots of sun. I agree about staying away from the dead and dying rack. I try not to give stores money for treating plants so badly. But once in awhile, I find one that I just have to have; one that I'm confident I can salvage.

One of my winter projects was to hack back my rhoeo aka Oyster Plant/Moses in a Cradle and give it new soil. It had gone from a beautiful upright plant to a leggy, pathetic vining thing with springtails in its soil. I finally got it done and now have lots of cuttings and offsets rooting.

• FrugalFanny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh and purple, I wanted to tell you that the largest staghorn fern I've ever seen wasn't even as big as the one you described! It is a huge hanging sphere larger than a beach ball, and likely supplied the spores for those babies in my photo, since they were both at the same nursery! Sometimes I take photos in nurseries, but not often enough:)

• September_Jenkins
    11 years ago

No winter blues here.

• September_Jenkins
    11 years ago

The opposite view, from inside my kitchen:

• September_Jenkins
    11 years ago

The other corner of the kitchen counter. (Doing dishes is much more bearable when there are plants at every corner and lining the bar over the sink!)

• September_Jenkins
    11 years ago

And the main focal point of the living room. :)

• September_Jenkins
    11 years ago

Always something to keep me busy and happy. When I have a bad day, I go out and buy myself a new plant. Always cheers me up. Tending to my babies clears my mind and helps me relax when I'm stressed. I live alone so having the plants and my two cats bring a wonderful feeling of life to what would otherwise be an empty, dreary winter shelter. Plants make a house a home.

• FrugalFanny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

September Jenkins, beautiful plants! And your ceramic figurines add some color when nothing is blooming. I agree that acquiring and tending plants is a wonderful stress-reliever and loneliness-buster. Have you ever had problems with your cats getting into all of your plants? I don't have any cats, but one day I would really like to, but I worry that when I get a cat it will ruin my beloved plants, and possibly get sick in the process. So how to you keep that from being an issue?

• Sarah1502
    11 years ago

What a treat to have so many beautiful plants in your kitchen! I wouldn't mind doing dishes, either. Well, maybe I wouldn't mind as much. lol You have some of my favorite types of plants there.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

(In)patiently waiting for warm weather and lots of sun (now sitting under the lights):

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 19:05

• FrugalFanny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well i see you've got some nice blooms happening, so at least you have those to enjoy in the meantime:)

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    11 years ago

I agree, FrugalFanny, those tiny triumphs are important for getting through winter. You have some lovely plants starting/growing.

Great saves, Purple and Sarah.

Rina and September Jenkins, I really appreciate the views of your plantscapes. I love seeing how people arrange their plants.

As for tiny triumphs, I've been appreciating colored leaves. Some of my cane begonias have shiny, burgundy-red new leaves. And since I started to fertilize it, my Philo gloriosum has been making really brightly-colored--cerise!--cataphylls. I don't have a good way to take photos at night but will try to get some in daylight soon.

Amanda

• FrugalFanny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Amanda! I, for one, am looking forward to seeing your plants!

• auron22
    11 years ago

A golden barrel cactus i saw in home depot a month and a half ago, had to have it! I love cactus flowers too much, and this one can fruit!

• auron22
    11 years ago

Three diffirent tillandsia from a botanical garden sale about a month ago. I wonder if they are considered hypo-allergenic? Air plants are awesome! Can't wait till they flower...

• auron22
    11 years ago

A serissa foetida. This was a gift, when i first saw it i didn't want it because it's too fickle, but since a certain someone took the liberty in buying it for me, i am now struggling to keep it alive. Humidity tray is to combat the yellowing leaves. I'm still excited i got it though.

• auron22
    11 years ago

...and last but not least a hoya "crimson queen" i am still nursing back to health after my father neglected it for 6 years. I recently decided to heavily prune it, it was about 12' long.

• auron22
    11 years ago

That's what i've done this winter, 5 new plants and chopping up a massive jungle vine. Was probably a bad move but i couldn't find a place for it anywhere when it was like 12'. I have a 13 year old schefflera arboricola, a 5 year old schefflera arboricola "gold capella", and a 6 year old jasmine sambac (var. maid of orleans i think?) at someone elses place with new growth. Too dark in this home for them. I miss them... Anyone else want to share? I'd like to see more plants!

• auron22
    11 years ago

Those succulents are pretty rina_, i'm jealous of the flower spike.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Auron22

Thank you, that is variegated aloe blooming and also grapto-something - not quite sure of the correct name.
    (photos also posted on cacti&succulents forum).

Did your hoya bloomed yet?

Here is more on the same shelve:

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 9:20

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Auron, love those huge barnacles! Wow! And, of course, the plants.

• auron22
    11 years ago

I was ecstatic when i remembered those barnacles.
    Rina_, Last summer it had 3 blooms on old and new growth. It would have had more but we had a few days of intense heat that made them shrivel up. The year before that it managed to throw out one bloom under my fathers care, he told me he didn't even know it could flower....

11 years ago

Such nice plants, Auron22. And I loved seeing yours again, Rina.

A few small things, here--this little holiday cactus has covered itself with buds, and the new, coral-pink leaves on this begonia are as colorful as flowers.

Amanda

11 years ago

Begonia leaf:

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

New addition - tiny phal.

Amanda, BTW, 2nd photo are different plants, just residing on the same shelve.

Rina

11 years ago

Hi Rina,

Yes, thanks, I noticed that, just didn't make myself clear. I like the way you've arranged them. The new Phal is very cheery (as well as pretty).

Amanda