Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teengardener1888

How has the winter treated you!!

teengardener1888
10 years ago

Firstly, hellow everyone, I have been gone for awhile, sorry i have been engulphed in the buisy life of a teenager and also i have a new hobby, chess. So anyway, I have been shuddering up here in the north, its only 15 today. This is unaturally cold for the north. Im aware down south, bulbs have been blooming, im so jealous

Comments (17)

• christine1950
    10 years ago

Hey teen, I'm an hour south of you and I've had enough with all the snow we've had this year, and now another storm is coming on Sun-Mon.. My plants are doing really well in spite of the dry heat. How's all your plants doing? Chess is alot of enjoyment & it keeps your brain going.
    Christine
    March comes in like a lion & goes out like a lamb!!!!

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear that christine, it seems we i albany are going to be lucky on monday, I think we are alittle too far north to get antmore than a brief shower or 2 of snow. We New Yorkers are used to relatively harsh winters but mother nature is stepping WAY out of line.......... im ready to take a plane to miami,or mobile, new orleans, biloxi, or any city in the deep south that is warm......hey, ill even take seattle..

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

But the worst place to be is in the midwest and the Northeast...

• sjbaby
    10 years ago

hi every one, i am in nw nebraska and it is cold and white here i am more than ready for spring

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Our winter has been very mild but the wettest on record - ie for 200 years. The lack of frost has resulted in strange combinations like this in the garden. Fuchsias, pelargoniums and daffodils all at once. Very weird.

• MrBlubs
    10 years ago

Well For the first day of March -40c here!
    Ahhh cant wait for spring but that dosnt come around untill Mayish...
    But Im leavin to St.Petersburg florida this week!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning All,

Teen, 2013/14 has been the worse winter ever. :(

I have an 8x12 green house. The last couple weeks, humidity has been between 1-5%.

The house isn't much better. 20-25%.

Simple plants, like Dracaenas, that never brown, are now brown.
    My orchids look like they've been in a car wreck.
    Plants nearest windows, on sills, froze.
    BTW, last fall, I placed plastic on windows near locks and ledges.

The back part of the house must still be settling because 'newer' windows won't shut properly leaving 1.4-1.5" gap. My poor, beautiful Coffee tree has frozen leaves. I pray it hasn't died.

Wouldn't you know, I didn't tape plastic on the back windows..Da&n.

This old house has way too many open spaces. If I knew how to fix this problem, I would, but I don't...

Although it's March 1, IL woke to new snow. Don't get me wrong, I love snow...for Christmas...
    21 days until spring..I bet by the 21st it'll still be cold and dry.

I accidentally broke the cap on my humidifier, so I've been searching for a replacement cap..Can't find one.

Hopefully someone here knows where I can find the replacement???

Floral, your garden is amazing..Love your plants. Your yard is so colorful..heck, even your garage looks happy covered in ivy..Very nice.

Normally, Snow Crocus, Hyacinths, Primrose, Arum and Daffs are up and about by mid-February.
    If by chance these beauty's sprouted, snow is covering areas they grow.

So, all in all, I dislike this winter with a passion.

Sorry, I sound like the voice of doom, but cabin fever is getting to me, so I feel doomed.

• christine1950
    10 years ago

floral, Thanks for sharing your pretty flowers.. Spring is just around the corner. I picked up a few packets of seeds today, I'm getting ready to start them indoors in a few weeks.
    Hang in there every one !!!!!!!!
    Christine

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

This winter has been harsh here. The ice storm still has people talking, and damaged some older, established plants. Some plants that are usually evergreen have lost their leaves. The extent of the damage can't be fully assessed until about May, when stuff will either show up again, or can then be declared dead - like Caladiums. Aside from the ice, there have been many nights well below freezing without any protective snow cover like up north.

All of this icky weather outside has meant a lot of missing sunshine for plants inside as well. Lots of etiolated growth if growth at all, and many plants just suspended in time, doing nothing. I've not spent much time watering though because of that, so that's good for me, but not the plants.

TG, you're right about Biloxi. We were there this weekend. Some of the palm trees and Agaves there were a little freezer-burnt from the ice in Jan.

Here's a bunch of baby palm sprouts in front of the hotel where we stayed, across HWY 90 from the beach. We could see the beach from the window if standing up, looking to the right. Short-sleeve weather, but definitely too cold to get wet yet.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

I hate to tell you all, but as long as the U.K and Europe is getting unusual warm temps, like my friends in Germany that have not even seen temps in the 30;s when they are suppose to be covered in freezing temps and cold, we can kiss spring good bye too!

I hate to also say this but the long range forcast calls for much of the same right through into April...

The western part of the states sits under a high pressure ridge for months that keeps them warm and in a drought while the eastern half of this country suffers in extreme and relentless cold with the cold dip in the jet stream that brings all the artic air upon us. ....

Pray for a change..Because I can't take this anymore and I am tired of very shorts summers that were once long...
    It seems that just as soon as your plants can finally go outside, back they have to come in again, as if summer flew by..

To make matters worst, not that we can't even rely on warm springs up here that are consistent, I have to play the move the plants inside and outside dance all the way to about June now until the warm air finally stays like it is suppose to in May....Depressing but I guess it could be worst..lol

Mike

• lme5573
    10 years ago

We've had a terrible winter, more than 100 inches of snow so far. This is a picture of my back yard 4 days ago, more than 20 inches snow on the ground for most of February.
    We have a compost bin that's been buried and lost when the trucks pushed the snow from the parking lot over the fence and into our yard. We also had a little cold frame that is no longer visible. We may have to make a new one.
    I am ready for spring!

Lennie near Grand Rapids, Michigan USA

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I fear I lost my winter jasmine, which is borderline hardy,it was just planted last year. I also fear a late start to the growing season........... my houseplanst amazingly have done well this winter and they seem in no rush to get outside.. thats probally because of the fact that i gave away alot and they got more care and sunlight, not having to compete for window space. Around December, I suspended my houseplant propagation program to help conserve window space for my houseplants, and that has really helped. This morning it was 6 degrees. This is unaturally cold for early march. Our high is supposed to be 40 and it will be only in the mid 20's. It is supposed to mellow for the weekend but i beleve its not enough, and I also believe we are not finished with single digit nights just yet. Lets hope spiring wakes up soon....

• Pat z6 MI
    10 years ago

Lennie Near Grand Rapids, thank you for posting what it looks like in Michigan so others don't feel so bad. Enough is enough, right? Thank God for houseplants too, right?
    Pat in Ann Arbor

• lme5573
    10 years ago

Hi Pat in Ann Arbor - Looks like we may be getting a break in the cold. Yesterday was amazing - a veritable heat wave! We had a high temp of 45F and the snow is starting to melt. My husband promised to dig out the cold frame and put the lid on.
    I'm thinking of starting tomatoes and peppers. I'll have to do the houseplant shuffle to make room near the south windows. One of the kids will have to do Easter dinner because I'll have seedlings on my dining room table. Life has priorities.;-)
    Lennie

• auron22
    10 years ago

My sympathies to all lost plants :/
    On the bright side that leaves room for more? :)

Being so close to the great lakes, and a river. Flooding has been an issue, but the huge mounds of broken ice was a sight to see. I'm tired of the ice everywhere. We've had it since the beginning of January and it's all finally melting....but leaving enormous puddles everywhere. Today was 50F....I took a very long walk.

So far everything has survived outside, but with expected damage. Went outside to prune roses for the first time and I was so excited I forgot to put gloves on! My hands seem to be in rough shape for some reason....I have lots of new stuff I go crazy just thinking about if it will survive, and what they might look like.

Might have been a bit too happy with pruning....but I've also pruned my ficus benjamina, serissa foetida, and Carissa macrocarpa to try my hand further at bonsai tree's. Trying to root all the cuttings to either give away or trade. Have not watered my schefflera arboricola since October...and hard pruned it (to eliminate bug problem) after watering it for the first time. If it dies....oh well. If I lives...gonna bag it and try banyan style bonsai! :)

Am I rambling?....this winter has me stir crazy.

Hope spring comes soon.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Mike, you jinxed things - 2 more sub-freezing nights coming this week. Dag nabbit, stop that!

Auron, my Mom was pruning roses when I stopped by her house yesterday. You probably don't want to hear that it was 30 degrees warmer here.

I wish everyone's weather to return to normal ASAP! One still might not like it, but at least it won't be because it's weird and unexpected.

Since we are moving next month, I guess losses of stuff I would have felt compelled to dig up are probably a good thing, less work for sure.

Since it was such a nice day here yesterday, I went to visit an old friend, Constitution Oak, in Geneva AL. That's one giant tree, with limbs touching the ground around its' perimeter. I've taken tons of pics of it, but it's really not possible to understand this tree from pics. No idea why I'm babbling about it here, except that I was glad to see the unusual cold snap and ice in January seem to have not bothered it at all. Hope the losses out there don't include any grand old entities like this. Nobody knows how old it is, but it has a plaque saying it is known to have been there at the time the declaration of independence was signed.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are getting more snow!!!!! maybe exceeding 8 inches. too late too late too late!!!!! WHERE IS SPRING!! huh............. still frost in the south.. Its not over yet tiffany(jnxs, heheheheheheehheheheh) :)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting