Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamora_gw

Happy Valentines Day!

Lamora
10 years ago

Hi, I hope you all are well and being with the ones you love today, being warm and happy.

Just wondering how everyone is doing and how the plants in your life are. Mine are not too bad, this dry air is not doing them any good, but we are trying to keep them as watered as needed.

I now have 4 (cant remember the proper name for them) bromliads now-- the pups fell off sometime during the night. (or the cat-- one or the other) I peeled off some of the bottom leaves and potted them.. really hope they make it, such a pretty plant.. I posted a picture in the Bromliad forum.. if you want to see them.. :)

But I just wanted to drop in and say HI. And I hope that everyone is safe and warm. Very strange winter we all are having.

Love you all
Marjie

Comments (7)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Happy Valentine's Day, Marjie,
    I keep forgetting today is Valentine.

Your Cryptanthus are nice and colorful. I checked Bromiliad forum...
    Pups are pretty thick, so probably kitty's fault.

2013/14 winter is strange..Coldest and driest ever. Heck, it's been bad all the way around.
    My plants look like crap! Plain and simple. lol.

Depending on the news channel, it's either going to be 59F or we're getting 1-2" of snow Saturday.

Oh, I'm keeping warm, alright! The last couple months I've worn two tops and a sweater, knee socks, leg warmers, jeans and boots. Can't get any warmer.

What about z4? Many single-digit days, weeks, months? Snow? Icicles?

Quite a few plants have brown tips, but in part I'm to blame..haven't been misting or showering. Then I found mealy on my Schefflera. I'll bet they've found homes in neighboring plants, too.

Trying to be optimistic..the days have been sunny and longer.
    A good sign spring will arrive soon, no matter what the ground hog saw or didn't see. :)

Hope you're well..kids, plants and pets, too..hugs, Toni

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

My heart shaped Jade leaf for Valentine's Day.

Christopher

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Hi Marjie,
    Hubby, myself, and my plants are doing well. Thanks for asking. :) After being out of power for almost two days (really bad ice storm), it's nice to be able to spend Valentine's Day warm and with power again. Hubby bought me some Asiatic bulbs (Lilies) for V-Day. One is already poking though the soil (I had to pot them as they were beginning to sprout in the bag), so not much to show.

Glad all is well with you. I saw your Cryptanthus on the Bromeliad forum. Nice sized pups. Kitty or self propulsion, they look big enough to be away from Momma. I don't know much about caring for pups though, sorry.

Planto

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

Cool VD quotes = I hope you enjoy:

The hours I spend with you I look upon as sort of a perfumed garden, a dim twilight, and a fountain singing to it. You and you alone make me feel that I am alive. Other men it is said have seen angels, but I have seen thee and thou art enough. ~George Moore

A bell is no bell 'til you ring it,
    A song is no song 'til you sing it,
    And love in your heart
    WasnâÂÂt put there to stay -
    Love isnâÂÂt love
    'Til you give it away.
    ~Oscar Hammerstein

I've fallen in love many times... always with you. ~Author Unknown

What I need to live has been given to me by the earth. Why I need to live has been given to me by you. ~Author Unknown

Take away love and our earth is a tomb. ~Robert Browning

Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place. ~Zora Neale Hurston

We don't believe in rheumatism and true love until after the first attack. ~Marie Ebner Von Eschenbach

The heart has its reasons that reason knows nothing of. ~Blaise Pascal

Love me and the world is mine. ~David Reed

For twas not into my ear you whispered
    But into my heart
    Twas not my lips you kissed
    But my soul
    ~Judy Garland

Al

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal."

Paul to the Corinthians

tj

• Lamora
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad to hear from you-- weather here is off and on rain and snow-- no sun for days-- it snows, stays for a few hours then it rains and melts the snow-- My Sadie loves the snow, but hates it when it starts to get soggy like it is.

Temp avg around 35-40 warmer then normal for this time of year-- but very soggy.

browning tips on a lot of my plants too-- but some are growing like weeds! Pothos and hoyas mostly-- will post pictures later That Wandering Jew is so-so since it fell, a lot died but some are trying to make a come back. Yes, will have to post some pictures... need to practice anyway if i want to be a photographer like i want to. And since i cant seem to go outside right now-- yes-- plants are good to for that..

and Al? those are just beautiful quotes-- not sure what my fav is-- thank you :)

Marjie-- feeling hopeful

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Christopher...What????

Al, where did you find the Judy Garland quote? She's one of my favorites.

Marjie...We have sun, but no warmth or humidity. Not yet.
    They're talking 59F. As to when, I have no idea.

Someone posted a photo of people dressed in SUMMER garb. Shorts, T-shirts..lol.

Funny, I have FB set for various news stations. Friday, two stations predicted two opposite forecasts. One said 1-2" of snow, the other said 59F. I like the latter, but we got the snow..woke up to brightness this morning. :(

Sadie is your pup??
    Coco loves rolling in wet..snow or rain..he's a mess...
    I'm waiting for warmer temps, then off to the vet he goes. Coco is terrified of scissors, so he has to be sedated for a groom.

Wow, 35-40 warmer than normal this time of year...Wish it was the case here.

Usually in February Snow Crocus and Hyacinths are flowering, but there's too much snow to tell.

Brown tips!!! What gets me is plants that normally don't brown have browned this winter.

I was cleaning the house, and noticed the humidifier needed filling. I was in a hurry, so grabbed the container, added water, then hurriedly placed on the base.
    Generic cap broke. I phoned the company and was told they no longer make that model.
    I found a replacement cap, but it's 7 and change plus 8.99 for shipping!!!! 20.00 for a cap!!!

In the meantime I purchased a smaller humidifier..It works, but the motor isn't powerful enough for two rooms.

I'm still hoping for that solarium. lol.

I didn't know you wanted to be a Photographer...That's great!
    Practice, practice and practice more. Good luck.

Thanks for reminding me about WJ. I bought a bag of soil at HD last year. An employee gave me several WJ cuttings..lol. It was nice of her, but I have no idea why she did this...Cuttings are sitting in a vase of water, and I bet it's empty...

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler