Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rubber Tree is more of a bush.

Posted by LoveLeigh none (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 16, 12 at 13:51

Hi, I'm new to the forum.
So we have an office rubber tree. It's not so much of a tree any more. Someone decided to prune it back from the main trunk all the way to the ground. It grows very much like a spindly vine or bush now. It really bugs me that it's not tree like. The boss has had it for years . . . is there anything I can do other than taking a cutting and making a new tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rubber Tree is more of a bush.

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 16, 12 at 14:07

Mmhmm - there is. A picture would be helpful for more specific advice, but you can remove all but one vigorous stem/trunk & turn it back into a single-trunk specimen. Best time to do that would be the last week of Jun or first week of Jul. As a bonsai practitioner I do it, purposefully, all the time to help induce the trunk taper that is a key element in making trees look old.

Let me know if you need more help.

There is a thread about tending Ficus trees in containers and one on keeping your plants looking good; both are on this forum & I can link you to them if you have interest?

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here