Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Pothos: Pearls and Jade

birdsnblooms
14 years ago

Is anyone familiar or have Pothos 'Pearl and Jade?' If so, what is the difference between this 'NEW?' Pothos and older Pothos types?

I'm thinking about purchasing one, but before doing so, would like to know if there's any difference..Color, shape, size?? Thanks, Toni

Comments (11)

• zusya
    14 years ago

Hmm... the google results mostly look like Epipremnum 'N'Joy,' could they be the same?

• houseplantlover
    14 years ago

Pothos ÂPearls and Jade is an induced mutation from Pothos ÂMarble QueenÂ. Pothos ÂPearls and Jade is a small, compact plant compared to other Pothos cultivars. Mature leaves from ÂPearls and Jade reach an average of 1-2 inches wide by 1 to 2 inches long. Variegation in each leaf varies slightly, but the overall effect is a pleasing, uniform variegated appearance. Plants evaluated in interiorscape conditions for 3 months exhibited no loss of foliar coloration or decrease in quality.

I did copy and paste this one. Nice looking plant, I will have to look for one of these too but have never seen any yet

• mr_subjunctive
    14 years ago

I think, from looking at the pictures of 'Pearls and Jade,' that the difference is 'N'Joy' doesn't have green spots on the white and "Pearls and Jade' does. Not positive: it's hard to find a good close-up picture. But I think they probably are distinct varieties.

• greattigerdane
    14 years ago

That's a cute pothos!

I read (you probably did to) that it's a small, compact plant compared to other Pothos cultivars. Mature leaves from ÂPearls and Jade reach an average of 1 to 2 inches wide, by 1 to 2 inches long, and are a bit courser feeling.

Billy Rae.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:73648}}

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just bought a Pearls & Jade Pothos on Ebay..If anyone is interested, he has 5 left.
    Mentha gave me NJoy last year..I love it! but don't need duplicate plants..so I hope the two are different.
    Thanks for everyone's help.

Hey Billie, how ya doing? Toni

• kaleanna
    11 years ago

I just saw this pothos today. It is a stunning pothos, but I could not justify paying about 15.00 for it at lowes. Fixing to go search and see what I could find and if I could find a starter plant of this pothos

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Lovely plant! Here's the story about brand new plant introductions...this plant is under federal patent protection. It cannot be vegetatively reproduced LEGALLY until it comes out of protection. That includes friend to friend sharing and certainly any propagating for commercial reasons. Of course, it's done all the time.

That's the reason why patent protected plants are expensive. The rights to sell or propagate have to be purchaed from the patent holder. Each legal plant will have a tag, with the patent number, as proof of the license agreement.

After the patent runs out (I forget how many years), the plant is up for grabs. For the most part, this is a self-policed regulation, though Federal inspectors do what they can.

Here's who should be aware of patent infringement : people who want to make some extra money at plant sales, garden club members making cuttings to sell, garden centers trying to get in on the latest plant fad, etc. Most of us who buy plants at the retail level don't know anything about all of this, but it's interesting, don't you think?

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

When I first started to read this, I thought that I had one but what I got is EPIPREMNUM [SCINDAPSIS] AUREUM VARIEGATUM (NJOY)'Double Dip'. Which is the most different Pothos I own. They do look so much alike. I guess you have to compare them side by side to really see the differences. If so close, why pay the extra fees? I do love my Double Dip. It is almost like a succulent more than a reg. house plant.
    Stush

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Stush,

Can we maybe see some pix???

• hentleyw
    8 years ago

Lowe's orlando fl has pearls & jade for 4.98