Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcincon

need advice on climbing vines - trellis?

marcincon
14 years ago

have a hoya house plant that loves to climb and it is roughly 10 feet long. I had string nailed up to top of picture window and crawl along the top of the windows. Recently we had to repaint the room so i had to remove the string that the vine tangled around. Is there another way to setup some kind of trellis or net or frame for my hoya plant to climb on that would be much easier to take down & put up? any ideas, plans to make one or website that sells something?

Comments (4)

• frogs28
    14 years ago

How crafty are you??? With duck tape and a staple gun you can do anything you set your mind to. Okay seriously, I have found that big box stores (as they are referred to on here) do not offer adequate goods for us plant lovers so, having said that, I would try a nursery and see what they got. However, it has been my experience that they only have small plastic trellis' which are fine for philos and such but not for a 10 footer. So I think your going to have to make your own. Same principle I think would apply to clematis if your are familiar with that. As young plants, they need support to get going so I use chicken wire (because the young tendrils can easily afix themselves to the smaller openings), wood dowels and a staple gun. Chicken wire can easily be cut by our dainty little hands and can be shaped into any shape you like. Another suggestion is to use wooden dowels by themselves and make your own trellis with twine and thin dowels (easy to transport and lightweight if you use the thin ones.) They should be able to support the weight of hoya. Or maybe a moss stick and you could wrap the hoya around that? Whatever you use, you always have the option of putting pot on a base with wheels and that would make anything you use easy to move.

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

Hi Marci,

May I suggest you switch over to the Hoya Forum next door (click at the top of Houseplants Forum page) where you can search this topic.

Many of us use trellisses for our Hoyas, indoors & out. I grow indoors & make my own hoops from wire clothes hangers. Others have found bamboo hoops & trellises they can buy sometimes at box stores, sometimes ordered online.

• marcincon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thx a bunch will check into creating something & will check out the hoya forum too!

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Hi Marcincon, with spring just around the corner you should be able to find trellis's just about everywhere. I have a very large hoya growing on a 3' iron trellis I bought to use outside on my black-eyed-susan vine. I had to bend the ends (that sick in the soil) in a tad so it would fit in the pot, but it works. If you can, try to use/find metal or iron, as the bamboo and dowel ones will rot in the water and soil.

I also found some really nice ones on E-bay. 3 to a pack for $4.00 I think.

Good luck. . . Hope to see you on the hoya forum.

Maid~

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH