Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting a ZZ from branch??

Posted by stephanie_kay 5a IL (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 14:16

I bought a ZZ plant today, after I got it home I found that a center branch was not attached. It looks like it had been broken off a while ago. Is there any way of rooting it? Water? Sticking it in soil? Anyone?

photo IMG_0523_zps4f1f223d.jpg

photo ZZscabedover_zpscf855768.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting a ZZ from branch??

You can root individual leaves. Takes a long time. I don't know about the entire stem, though.

o

Me neither, They root from leaves. They took months to grow for me

o

It looks like I can but might need to cut the stem some first. Here is a link to a article I found.

Here is a link that might be useful: ZZ stem growing

o

Hi Stephanie,

In my experience, one CAN put that entire branchlet in water to root; I've done so myself. The result was my branch grew a small green tuber resembling a green pea & some roots as well. Then I potted it up sometime afterwards.

I don't recall if here at Houseplants or over at C&S Forum (Cactus & Succulents forum), but I've posted a number of threads about ZZs including ones I've started from single leaves. As you browse, the results, pls. look for my handle 'Pirate_Girl'.

Fun experiment (to me) why not try anyway? No, I would't trim that, I'd put in water just like that (in case it has already sprouted root nodes, which one wouldn't want to sever).

o

Pirate, I finally found your page. It was in this forum in 2011.
So you started your leaf in water? The others I have found started their leaves in soil. When I transplanted it I found two more smaller stems had some off.
How often did you change/add water ? The last thing I grew in water was avocado seeds. That has been many moons ago.

o

sounds like a fun experiment. try it

o

To everybody interested in these (including those reading along, but not actively posting).

Am happy to answer questions &/or discuss these plants, even if things CAN be looked up. Guess just sharing in a 'look here at these interesting plant experiments I've grown' kind of way.

I've grown them both ways, more frequently in mix, but once in water. I never change the water, only ADD to it. I use some small bit of aquarium grade charcoal (from the pet store) to help keep the water fresh.

These are pretty indestructible plants, probably the only way to kill 'em would be to overwater (when grown in mix).

o

Thanks Pirate,

Do you have photos of your different ZZ's? How long did it take to root in water? Longer then in soil? How are they all doing now?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here