Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamora_gw

What is the Difference?

Lamora
12 years ago

Hi again, I am trying to figure out just what the difference is between a Golden Pothos Vine and a Philodenron Brazil? I have been told that my plant is both and I was just wondering if and what the difference is between the both? Yes, I confuse easily... ;)

Comments (13)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Philodendron and Pothos (actually, Epipremnum) are completely different plants. They both belong to the same large plant family and share some physical characteristics, but that's about it.

Type Epipremnum aureum (golden pothos) into Google and you'll the difference right away.

Your Philodendron 'Brasil' is a Philodendron hederaceum, such a pretty plant! The only negative thing about it is that it may tend to try to revert back to solid green. Lots of variegated clones do that.

• Lamora
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for saying it is pretty :) I hope it doesn't turn all green! ! I love it the way it is--I love the color. The only reason I bought it.

I'm terrified to try to "pinch" it or cut it, I've never done that before. I do not want to hurt it. But I do want it to get fuller. Wanting to get another one, fuller, and show mine what it is "supposed" to look like!! lol.

But thanks again for the info-- will look it up and see.

12 years ago

You'll learn, soon enough, that giving your plants (especially vining plants) haircuts now and then is sure to make them fuller. You can't possibly hurt such plants by doing so, unless you decide to drip a little battery acid on the open end, lol. Promise me you won't do that.

Here's a very simple way of understanding why your plants will get fuller after a trimming. Healthy plants with a strong root system want to grow...they HAVE to grow. When we pinch them back, we remove their apical growing point (the tip of the stem), the need to grow is so strong that new buds will break back down the stem, producing brand new apical growing stems so that the plant can continue to grow.

If we don't cut them back, such plants will simply continue to get longer and longer, unable to devote plant energy on side shoots.

As your 'Brasil' gets larger, you will be able to take cuttings of three or four inches and root them. That's a VERY easy little project, if you have a porous potting mix of some sort.

• Lamora
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I looked them up-- took a real good look at them and I see it now, thanks :)

When I do cut back, can I just put the ones I cut off back into the same pot? Or put them in a new pot, start in water till roots show up? (starters of course) I've heard of doing it either ways, what is best? Could I trim it now? or wait till Spring.

I know I am asking a lot of questions.. and I thank you.. but I am actually having fun learning all this! ;) (My dog isnt too happy tho-- this is taking a lot of time away from her-- she hates computers!-- lol)

• zzackey
    12 years ago

You should start the cuttings in soil. Water rooted cuttings are weak.

• Lamora
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks :) (and I do not know what possesed me to spell "Brasil" with a "Z"!! learned a new word today-- lol)

Can I put them in the same pot that they are in already? Or do they need their own pot. The main plant isnt that big atm, so I was wanting them to grow together. Can I do that?

thanks again :)

12 years ago

Philodendrons root very easily. So much so that many of us simply stick small cuttings right back into the same pot....which is one more way to help make a plant nice and full.

But let's not take that step until you've done a bit of homework on when, where, and how of taking cuttings.

• Lamora
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did do a bit of homework. I cut right under the "nobe" (i think that is what it is called)sharp scissors or knife, with a few leaves 2-4, and put the nobe in the soil, cover the nobe, but don't pack hard. About 1-1/2 -2 in. below rim of pot. Water it. and pray... is that right? If not, please correct me....

I just don't know if I should wait for Spring or if I can do it now?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

"node" ;-)

Josh

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Lamora,

Good work, except for the fact that it's "node", otherwise you're on the right track.

You could do a Pothos at this time of year, but it probably wouldn't hurt to wait 'til Spring (I think), I don't grow the Philo. so I'll leave that to the others.

• Lamora
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Told you I "think" that is what it was-- lol-- see?? learing something new every day!! ummm that is a GOOD THING? is it not? ;)

• ronalawn82
    12 years ago

Lamora, I "staple" the cuttings into the mix to keep them in place. I unwind a paper clip until I am left with a V-shaped piece of wire. If the arms are too long I snip them back to a manageable length. I then use it as a staple to keep the cutting in place. You can buy plant staples; or you can use hairpins - if you are old enough to remember what they are.

• Lamora
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually I DO remember what THEY are!! lol-- Was wondering about that myself, how to keep them in place, didnt think of that.. thanks.