Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninecrow_uk

Poinsettis 2013

ninecrow
11 years ago

Anybody got Any left from Christmas 2012?

I have 2 New ones

A White and a Red...

Comments (11)

• brodyjames_gw
    11 years ago

Hi ninecrow!

I bought 3 (2 white/yellow and a red). Two are still doing pretty good. I think the third one (the red) is a goner.

Nancy

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

Hi Nine and all. I did not buy one this year. I have so many plants around the house I really have no room this year. But I'm still following these threads!

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I REALLY Hope I'll be able to Keep the White

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    11 years ago

If anyone is still following this thread, here's some basic info! My brother, in Illinois, grew and sold poinsettias for many years, and this is from the care sheet he had for customers. I helped him sell them a few years.

-------------------------------------------------

For increased enjoyment of this plant in your home:

~ Place in a room where there is sufficient natural light to read fine print.

~ Avoid drafts or excess heat from appliances, radiators, or ventilating ducts.

~ Water plant thoroughly when soil surface is dry to the touch. Remember to discard excess water from the tray.

~ To prolong bright color of bracts, the plants should be in a room with temperatures between 65 and 70 degrees.

When bracts age and become muddy green, cut back plant to about 8 inches to grow as a foliage plant. It may be placed outdoors when outside temperatures are warm. Avoid temperatures below 50 degrees at night throughout summer. If kept outside in summer, when temperatures cool in fall move plant indoors to a place with direct sun for 6 - 8 hours daily and 60 to 70 degree night temperatures. FOR REFLOWERING in winter, avoid all artificial light at night after October 1.

-------------------------------------------------

Points, like most houseplants, do not like continuously wet feet, so whether keeping your plant for just a few months at Christmas or if you're planning to grow it year-round, be sure you leave the soil dry sufficiently before watering each time, then saturate thoroughly and be absolutely sure the pot is not standing in water after watering.

If you're trying to get it to rebloom you only need to avoid artificial light until the bracts (colored leaves) start to develop, once the blooming process has started artificial light won't affect it anymore.

Hope this may help some of you who want to keep your plant as a foliage plant or want to try to get it to rebloom.

Skybird

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks For Posting That Skybird...

I had My Draven (Peterstar Red) for 11 Years...

He Passed Away Last Year Was in Hospital a Lot and He got Forgotten....

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    11 years ago

LOL! Except for ones that are native, growing outside, I think that's the longest successfully grown poinsettia I've ever heard of! I'd say he deserves his Final Rest!

Glad you got some grandchildren to cheer you up!

Happy growing,
    Skybird

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Guys Have Good Growth on Both Mine and I Found this Link for You All to Enjoy....

http://longwoodgardens.wordpress.com/tag/poinsettia/

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any Updates Anyone?
    Both of Mine are Still Going... The Red one better than the White...
    Thanks All

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any updates Anyone?

I Have Quite a bit of Colour on My Red, But Nothing on the White Yet....

Red was Started on the 30th of July
    The White the 30/08/13

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

Still following this thread, even though I have no "points" at this time. So many plants here, so little time! Even though I am retired now!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

I haven't brought mine in from summering outside yet. Dang, its October and we're due for 80F (26.6C) today. I'd better start that photoperiod thing pronto.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: My old post

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH