Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peace lily with black leaves?

Posted by notagreenthumb_79 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 7, 07 at 15:02

I'm not known for my green thumb although I really like green plants and flowers. My mom told me that a peace lily helps clean the air so I went out to the store and bought one today. Probably not the best day since it is 10 degrees. I ran it straight to the car and straight in the house and now all the leaves are black and starting to wilt. I gave it some warm water and clipped off the most wilted leaves and all the flowers. Will it come back?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peace lily with black leaves?

As long as the roots are ok, and I think they are, it should come back.

Billy Rae

o

The leaves could be turning black due to over-watering. If the roots are brown or black they rotted. Healthy roots are white and firm. U should use room temp. water. Let dry out completely before watering again. Hope this helps.

o

Peace lilies can grow in 100% water, and overwatering would more likely turn the leaves yellow. If he allows the plant to dry out before watering again, he's far more likely to kill it (along with the damage the cold's done) than if he watered too much. BTW, it doesn't like direct sun, so while you don't want to keep it in the dark or anything, don't put it in a sunny window.

o

• Posted by watergal z6/7 Westminster, MD (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 14, 07 at 9:40

If the leaves turned black that fast, it is definitely cold damage. It may or may not come back, but water sparingly if it doesn't have many leaves, since it won't be using much water until the leaves grow back.

Leaves will get brownish black over time, especially on the tips and edges, from overwatering. You can kill one within a couple of years by overwatering consistently - you get root rot, the whole plant wilts, you think it's thirsty and water it more and it just gets worse and dies. Trust me, I've killed my share of them this way.

I don't recommend growing them in water for extended periods of time - after a while, they languish and look pretty sad.

I agree about no direct sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here