Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asarumgreenpanda

What's blooming for you?

Hi -

The weather is really dreary here today, so I'm especially grateful for colorful indoor plants. Here are a few of mine this morning. What's blooming for you there days? Please add yours, if you'd like.

Amanda

Hippeastrum--there are usually Hippeastrum in bloom around here, any month of the year.

Comments (29)

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This Hippeastrum hybrid is fragrant.

This post was edited by asarumgreenpanda on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 15:42

Original Author
    11 years ago

This Schlumbergera is in a hard-to-hotograph place, so it's hard to tell, but the plant is covered in buds that are just starting to open. The Rhipsalis/Hatiora (I haven't kept up with the name changes on this one) on the lower right of the picture is also budded. It usually blooms in the fall, but I guess it, like the Schlums, can also bloom as the days lengthen.

Original Author
    11 years ago

This Hoya is just getting started:

Original Author
    11 years ago

While this little oncidium--one of the 'Twinkle' hybrids and very fragrant--is finishing up:

Original Author
    11 years ago

Last spring, I got two Veltheimia bracteata bulbs.They are both doing...something. I'm not sure whether they're making a new set of leaves (I thought they only made one leaf at a time?), or a flower stalk. Can you tell me what this is?

• Sarah1502
    11 years ago

Wow! Beautiful blooms and beautiful pics. I'm sure those will chase the winter blues away!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Here is a few orchids for you:-)
    Never a dull moment and always fragrant at my home, thank goodness!

{{gwi:69345}}

{{gwi:69358}}

{{gwi:69344}}

{{gwi:69343}}

{{gwi:74064}}

{{gwi:74065}}

Does a very colorful Jade count? ;-)

{{gwi:73830}}

Mike

• larry_b
    11 years ago

Here is what's blooming at my house:

Smithicodonia 'Heartlands Joy'
    {{gwi:74049}}

Streptocarpus 'Bristol's Potpourri'
    {{gwi:74050}}

Streptocarpus 'Bristol's Potpourri'
    {{gwi:74051}}

This post was edited by larry_b on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 3:03

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

Well I have only two plants blooming for me right now, a euphorbia 'crown of thorns' which I have no pic of, but they're just small pink flowers (sorry, I meant bracks) , and then this unknown dendrobium that first lost a few buds before finally opening the rest (I think it went into shock from going to the store to my home), and it's very beautiful, atleast I think so!!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Amanda
    Really nice Hippeastrums, and Shlumbergera-what a soft color.

Mike
    Surrounded by orchids...and much more. Any of your citrus blooming?

larry_b
    Your plants are so goergeous. The all grow quite small, am I right?

FPT
    Nice bloom, I have only few phals in bud. My crown of thorns has been blooming non-stop, I need to repot it & cut it down too since it is getting way too tall...
    Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 8:08

• eahamel
    11 years ago

I have 2 paphs, 2 NOID AV's and Episcia Jim's Porcelain Doll, which I got at last year's AV society sale.

• emerald1951
    11 years ago

Hi..nothing blooming here, but love all the flowers you all have love all the different orchids....Mike you sure have alot of different ones...good growing all....linda

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

These flower stalks on Callisia fragrans were hanging all over the room so I wound them up the thing from which the pot is hanging. These make the whole room smell good.

11 years ago

Wax Begonia, pink in the foreground, red in the back.

11 years ago

Chamaedorea elegans is blooming like crazy, this is the most prolific one.

11 years ago

A NOID rhizomatous Begonia.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Tiffany!

Where did you get that Palm Elegans????

I have never been able to find one but always wanted one. I can't even find one on the webb:-(
    Beautiful !

Looking good everyone!

Mike

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

purpleinopp, any scent from the Chamaedorea flowers?

• larry_b
    11 years ago

Hi Rina,

Yes, they all grow quite small. Even the Streptocarpuses is a small compact variety.

Larry

This post was edited by larry_b on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 14:35

11 years ago

Sadly, still no perfume from the palm balls. It's not easy to get my nose to where these plants are but I've tried several times at various times of the day. I wish we could solve this mystery! I think some are pollinated though. Will see...

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

Mine used to have the scent only in the evening. The flowers looked a little larger than those on yours, I think.

• petrushka (7b)
    11 years ago

oh, amanda! what's teh name of the 2nd amaryllis? i don't think i ever saw one like that?!
    envious about orchids, don't have the light for them anymore. my lonely phal is budding though.
    and i have a pretty good rebloom on xgiving cactus. sort of unusually early and quite strong.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Big, big thank you to everyone who posted pictures and comments--really helps brighten a gloomy day. I love seeing everybody's plants and you are all doing such great growing. I have more specific comments/questions but will need to come back for that later. Right now I'm just enjoying all the beauty. :)

Petrushka, that's 'Santiago.' It has small glowers, but usually 6 or more per stalk, and they have a very nice, light fragrance.

Amanda

• petrushka (7b)
    11 years ago

i understand it's not easy to get it. of course! but now that i practiced on common minerva and can keep them blooming - may be i'll try to get it. royal colors has some very unusual ones (all unavailable! of course) that i just love. fragrance is a big plus too. not much is fragrant indoors...lucky you!

• 715rose
    11 years ago

Here are some recent shots of orchids blooming in the house.Doris AKA rose
    I tried to load more than i but no go.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

I love that Callisia, purpleinopp, I wonder how long does it go on blooming? It's the first one I've seen ever.

11 years ago

Smashing, make more than 1 post, especially if you have other pics that good, Doris. Stunning!

...as are all of the other flowers here. If any are scented too, (Isn't that always a bonus?!) post them on fragrant forum as well.

11 years ago

Hey we were typing at the same time! That Callisia started blooming soon after Christmas, but doesn't open every day. It should last for months, until April or May. Last April a stalk (one of 2 that I had) was still blooming well in April but I broke it. The other one was much more puny and was already finished.

I gave some of this to a friend, discussed here and his plant is outside every day, inside some colder nights. The big stalk his plant is making just started opening its' flowers. It is also making side branches on the main stalk. I'll put up another pic of that pot soon.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Nice bloomers! :-)
    All three of my Euphorbias are blooming...but this one has the most conspicuous cyathia. This was sent by Meyer Mike. Thanks, buddy. Sorry, one of the worst pics I've taken...sun just wouldn't co-operate!

Josh