Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
september_jenkins

How do I keep cats from eating plants?

September_Jenkins
11 years ago

My cat feels the need to sample a taste of every plant I bring home. The grassy ones, however, are the only ones he just cannot seem to leave alone. I've asked at the vet, pet stores, searched some online, I bought a spray to keep them away but realized it was only for outdoors so didn't use it.

I find some suggestions but they are usually followed by comments on their ineffectiveness. Does anyone know an effective way to keep cats from eating my Dragon Trees and Spider Plants and such? My place is small and there is virtually no where high or inaccessible to the cats, the Dragon Trees are outgrowing the only tall spots I could manage for them.

One thing I have heard is Rosemary. Has anyone tried this? If I can't grow Rosemary, would some type of seasoning or oil work?

Any alternate suggestions, tried and true? And if so, please specify how I would apply it to the plant (soil, leaves, surrounding area, etc.) and if there would be any risk to the plant (I also have Bamboo and a few other delicacies I can't name).

Comments (14)

• roseyd
    11 years ago

my cats like to nibble my plants too - usually the Jasmine leaves are the most chewed. I try to keep my plant tables so filled so that the cats don't have room to sit close to the plants.

I also think that you can try spraying the leaves with lemon/water - or maybe detergent and water... if they taste bad, the cats will want nothing to do with them.

You could also start growing cat-grass. If there's a plant that you make easily accessible that you give cats free rein to eat - maybe they'll chose that one to nibble on.

I know - wishfull thinking. Cats seem to like to choose the path we don't want them to take.

Keep trying - eventually, something will work.

Good luck.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

There's a product called Bitter Apple (I believe it's a spray) meant for exactly this purpose & indoor use. Perhaps search / check the reviews for it, as I have not used it myself.

• larry_b
    11 years ago

Hi September,

I think it really depends on the cat on how well one can keep it from chewing on plants. I have had very good luck keeping my two cats away from broad leafed plants but, like you, have extreme difficulty keeping them away from anything that remotely resembles grass. Dragon trees, spider plants and palm plants are impossible for me to have in the house unless they are hanging from the ceiling or on the top shelf where the cats cannot get to. With those plants it's basically a war of wills and the cats have won the war. I would either try to keep these plants out of their reach or just resign yourself to the fact that you can't have them in the house. I have no other advice than that.

For all other plants I think there's hope and Karen's idea of Bitter Apple is a good one. It's made to keep cats from chewing on things and doesn't hurt the cat. For goodness sakes don't use red pepper, which is also something that people say is a remedy. If the cat gets pepper in its eyes it will scratch its eyes out trying to get rid of it.

Good luck,

Larry

• September_Jenkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So far all I have been able to do is, not only put the grassy plants on ALL the tallest surfaces in my home (3), but also fill EVERY INCH of the surface so there is no room for them to jump onto. I will share my three pictures.

#1. Over the 6-ish foot tall video cabinet:

• September_Jenkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#2. Over the even taller bookshelf:

• September_Jenkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#3. Lining all the way across a narrow ledge that separates my entryway and kitchen. I had to move the trashcan and a three-shelved stand I keep my violets on to other parts of the room.

He can and does jump on any of these three "hiding places" if I do not entirely fill the space with other plants.

I have heard mixed reviews on bitter apple and definite no-no about pepper. Anymore ideas, anyone, keep 'em coming! Thanks.

• FrugalFanny
    11 years ago

Oh! I'm sorry Jenkins! I just replied to your comment on my thread with this same question! I hadn't seen this thread yet, so never mind that. Thank you for posting this!

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

I don't have any real suggestions. Through trial and error of "plant placement", I've found that my cat is completely uninterested in thanksgiving cacti, jades, and African violets. I can put these plants wherever I want. I think ill be working towards more of these plants since they are "worryfree" plants without the stress of figuring out where to put/squeeze them. All of the others (especially spider plants or toxic plants like my pothos/peace lily) are on crowded tables/ high shelves. I also bought a few hanging pots that I hope to use in the spring.

• emerald1951
    11 years ago

Hi....a few tablespoons of a hot sauce (tabasco) in a spray bottle with water...spray your plants, cats don't like that....and when they no longer chew on your plants it can be rinsed off...this also works on dogs that chew on things you don't want them to.....linda
    hot sauce mixed in your bird seed, keeps the squirrels out, or pepper flakes...it doen't hurt the birds, they don't have taste buds...squirrels do.....

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Not all cats mind the spray of water. Just spraying plain water at them can sometimes help, but I've had a cat who thought that was great fun & loved to play w/ water, so I couldn't discipline her that way.

If it were me, I'd at least try the 'Bitter Apple' it may work & is definitely safe to use.

• georgia5245
    7 years ago

I have had really good luck by using (dark colored) plastic forks inserted into the pot with the tines up. They aren't really noticeable -- especially if you use the dark colored or clear ones but the cats just don't like them. I guess it's the same theory as using cactus but, for me anyway, a lot easier.

• Kim
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Training helps... easier if your cat hates the spray bottle as mine does. They can be taught "no", just like a dog. Some are more stubborn than others though, so good luck. I make a loud "psst" noise, or clap my hands or stomp my foot as I say no firmly, the noise can help startle kitty into paying attention just like a spray bottle. I have glass shelves across most of my growing windows so plenty of space to keep plants out of reach... I also do not allow my cat on hard surfaces, like shelves and tables so that helps a great deal. It takes time, just be consistent. Eventually kitty should form the association of if I do this then that thing I dislike will happen.

Dogs are easier, as praising them when you get home for not terrorizing your domicile goes a long way.

One day when I have floor plants we may need a re-education session, but I often place my big ZZ plant on an end table near my couch and we havent had any trouble. I do also grow cat grass on occasion, and offer it to her next to her food dish so as to keep the message very clear that this one is ok.

• aruzinsky
    7 years ago

Try this:

1. Give your cat an inflated balloon to play with.

2. After he/she pops it, does he/she become very afraid of balloons?

3. If so, put inflated balloons next to your plants.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner