Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
usha_srinivasan_gw

Plants in containers (Photos)

usha_srinivasan
12 years ago

Hello Rhizo and Hopeful,

I finally got around to taking pics of my plants. I found a few other planter after my initial TJMAxx purchase. I have placed my plants inside these planters after adding a few stones/bottle caps to prevent my plants getting waterlogged (thanks for the thought Hopeful)

I especially like the mosaic on glass container that is holding my christmas cactus. I have another glass container that I am now inspired to mosaic.

Usha

http://photobucket.com/plantsinplanters

I tried to post the pics directly but for some reason they are rotated by 90. Tried to fix in photobucket and was able to . However when I copy/paste the photobucket link the pics are still rotated :(

Hope this works.

Comments (13)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Howdy Usha,

You did it..even though my neck aches..j/k.. :)

Your plants look like they just arrived from Fl.

I love the glass container your Holiday Cactus is in. Leaf colors blend well with upper glass.

Sans..vivid colors..nice yellow edging

Peperomia..Beautiful red hue..The red variety, 'can't recall name' is much prettier than green. Your Pep is large enough to flower..

I believe pics 4 and 5 is Traddescantia..Are leaves fuzzy? It too is nice and compact..if someone agrees your plant is Traddescantia, pinch tips of leaves every 2-3 months to keep compact. But hold off..Spring is nearing which means, little, purple-pink blooms.

Is that it? lol..

Wish I could help uploading/downloading photos, but I use Flickr..Sorry..hopefully someone will offer help on that issue, too.

Anyway, your plants look great, Usha. How long did it take to repot? Toni

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Just trying one out here. No rotation. Just copy and paste the hotmail tag into your message.
    {{gwi:74085}} Healthy looking plant btw.

• Lamora
    12 years ago

They all look so nice! I love the kittentoes-- or maybe it is just the name? lol I love the glass container. Me? I would be terrified of it being knocked over!! but that is me.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

I must have missed something. What pls. are kitten toes?

I'm not sure about the color on that Christmas cactus (actually a Thanksgiving Cactus, some of us refer to it as TC for short). It looks somewhat washed out, I'd expect it to be greener. Have you had it in direct sunlight?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

I'm with Pirate Girl....cactus doesn't look so good to me and what the heck are kitten toes, and where are they?

• usha_srinivasan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kitten toes are a figment of my imagination :) it is cyanosis somaliensis or tradescantia somaliensis aka pussy ears or furry kittens. Haha the joke is on me ! Thanks hopeful, I will be on the lookout for flowers.

pirate girl,
    The TC is a lil anemic -I have had it under lights
    Think some sunshine will do it good ?

Hopeful,
    Most of my plants are only a few months old ,the TC is older
    The pepperomia is my new year gift to myself I love the texture of the leaves.

Usha

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Your other pictures:
    {{gwi:74086}}
    {{gwi:74087}}
    {{gwi:74088}}

{{gwi:74089}}

• Lamora
    12 years ago

I like kittentoes-- lol-- sorry- my bad. I was just mentioning what it said, I don't know plants names, but I am learning. Kittentoes-- yes-- imagine or not. ;)

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi no,

Holiday cactus are not candidates for under light (I don't think). These are not plants which want direct light, what they like best is bright indirect. Any chance you have the edge of a window near which you could place it? Are those branches firm or softish to the touch?

• usha_srinivasan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting my pics flora, I appreciate it !

Pirate_girl the TC branches are firm, although the leaves appear thin at the branch ends. I am thinking of repotting in al's gritty mix and fertilizing after it has settled in.
    I can find a brighter spot for it now that it is in a taller container.

Usha

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Good Morning, Everyone,

Usha. A couple months or years, your plants look good. If you like Peperomia leaf texture, you'll love its flowers. Some people don't appreicate Pep blooms, but I feel both leaves and flowers are novel and interesting.

About your TC. Some leaves have a red hue. All that means is it got/is getting plenty of light.
    In summer, when my TC/EC's are placed outside, 'shade,' foliage reddens. As long as leaves are firm your TC is doing well.

Flora, thanks for posting Usha's photos.

Kitten Toes. I've heard of Pussy Toes, but not Kitten Toes..lol..

Kitten Toes is a cute name, :) but which plant are you referring to?

Common name differ according to location. In the west coast, Chlorophytums were/still may be called Airplane Plants. Midwest and East Cost, Spider Plants..only one example, but there are many many comman names.

There's probably a comman name for every plant in the world, lol. Well, available plants anyway.

Back in the day, Pothos, 'I know, I know, not the right name,' were called Devil's Ivy. Nowadays, signs are posted, simply Pothos.

Lithops had a 'Toe' name, but can't recall what it was. Maybe Baby Toes? Also, Livingstone Plant.

Karen..Direct summer sun can burn Holiday Cactus leaves, even after acclimation. They do best in bright, indirect. CC/TC/EC will thrive in shade, but too much shade will prevent flowering. Direct summer sun will redden leaves...if soil is left to dry for prolonged periods, placed in direct sun, good-bye plant. :) Toni

• usha_srinivasan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Toni (I have gotten used to thinking of you as Hopeful :as in hopeful for your fellow gardeners plants :)

I remember now, the TC spent the summer and fall outside in the shade of my redbud. That might account for its red hues. I have two more recent TC but the leaves on those are larger (same shape) and darker green. I find this petite purple TC prettier.

The tradescantia is the pussy toes or furry kittens or in my name-mix-up version, the kitten toes. Its the plant in the red planter.

Regards,
    Usha

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Well Usha, Good luck w./ them I'd watch out for dropping sections on that TC, I suspect it has some other problem.

Toni,

I thought we don't speak anymore, so I haven't been addressing any comments you address to me by name.

I can't imagine why you FEEL THE NEED TO REPEAT TO ME THE ADVICE I JUST GAVE. Perhaps you might be in less of a hurry to give advice & take a bit more time to read more closely & carefully.

Here's what I told Usha, verbatim:

"These are not plants which want direct light, what they like best is bright indirect. Any chance you have the edge of a window near which you could place it?"

Here's what you felt the need to tell me:

"Karen..Direct summer sun can burn Holiday Cactus leaves, even after acclimation. They do best in bright, indirect. CC/TC/EC will thrive in shade, but too much shade will prevent flowering. Direct summer sun will redden leaves...if soil is left to dry for prolonged periods, placed in direct sun, good-bye plant. :) "