Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom101_gw

Help with ID

Tom101
12 years ago

Can anyone help with the identification of this house plant?

This is a cutting I rooted several months ago. The stems kind of hang down from the pot and grow quite long. Leaves are opposite, entire msrgins pinnately veined and somewhat shiny.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w123/Tom10_bucket/20120202_0020480x640.jpg

Comments (14)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Tom,

I don't know it but others using the link will.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:74108}}

• marquest
    12 years ago

It sort of looks like Philodendron �Pink Princess� (Philodendron erubescens)

I would wait for Toni she is really good with IDs. Do not take my word. Just a guess.

• Tom101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

marquest,

The leaves are spread out on stem much more than the picture I found of the Philodendron, and the leaves are only about 5 inches long and i/3 of that is petiole. I appreciate you effort and can provide more info if I know what needs to known.

Tom

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Leaves are arranged alternately on Philodendron, so I think we can eliminate that genus. But I agree, Toni needs to get her butt over here and ID this plant, lol.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hey Rhizo,

I'm not Toni, but can I play? Boy that splash of hot pink is really something. First I thought Hibiscus, then something in me said varieg Clarodendron?

• Tom101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nope! Thanks for trying. The stem is not woody and the plant spreads out without support, it's not tree like. Some of the stems grew to be three feet long on the plant we had on the patio last summer. We've not seen any sign of flowers or flower buds. The base of the stems become greenish rather than remaining red over time. Is there something I could take a more detailed picture of that would be more helpful?
    Tom

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Tom,

I'd guess we'll keep trying, but have you checked out 'Name That Forum', also on GW, they may be able to help on this.

• Tom101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pirate_girl,

Thanks for the heads up on the 'Name That Forum'. I've now posted there as well. Sure hope someone can figure this out. Tom

• Tom101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carol123 over on the 'Name That Forum' came up the ID.

It's Alternanthera Partytime or Joseph's Coat. Thanks everyone.

Tom

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Tom, your plant is definately, Alternanthera ficoidea 'party time.' Other common names are Parrot Leaf and Calico Plant, in addition to Party Time and Josephs' Coat.

Party Time is the prettiest, most colorful of all Alternantheras.

They're sold here as annuals, z5, but can be kept as house plants with some work. In brighter sun, leaves will put on fabulous color show.

Did you root in soil or water?

Morning Marquest, Rhizo and Karen. Toni

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

What a dork am I? Sorry for the error, I meant to type: "Name That PLANT" forum of GW, not 'Name That Forum'. Duhh!

Anyway Tom,

Your welcome, I'm pleased they were able to solve your mystery, that's quite a looker that plant you've got. Happy Growing.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Toni,

Wouldn't that be Alternanthera ficoidea 'Party Time'? Cultivar names are usually capitalized, e.g. Agave schidigera 'Durango Delight'.

• Tom101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hopefulauthor,

Yes, It's a very colorful plant. I dipped the cut end in rootone and stuck it in moist potting soil. I have about a dozen of them and they are doing well. We will put them outside when things warm up a little more (May) we are in Z5.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Jeff, yes it should be, but I'm tired, my visions blurry, and I don't care..lol..hehe

I don't care,
    I don't care,
    What people think of me.
    I'm happy-go-lucky
    Some say that I'm plucky,
    contented and care-free
    Judy Garland

Tom...I tried rooting one in water a couple years ago..one rooted one died..

However, my fault. Fresh water should have been added daily..ohhh, the water smelled awful...lol

Yeah, z5 isn't getting much sun..Hopefully, we have a nice, sunny spring and summer. Winter has been too mild, and only a couple snowfalls.