Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rubber plant needs help

Posted by kflo none (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 15:20

Hello-

I inherited this rubber plant about 2 years ago and it struggled for a while... It seems to be very healthy and growing great, but it is quite top-heavy!

It is only about 18" tall, it is 5 little skinny trunks coming out of the soil, which are bare about 6" up then it has all these big happy looking leaves bushing out all over the top. The branch is actually thicker towards the top of the branch than the base.

The base of all these stems or trunks (not sure what you call them?) are extremely puny and will not hold them up on their own so I have a stake i the pot as well.

I'm afraid to do anything with it as it took over a year for it really come to life! Do I need to prune, trim, repot??

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rubber plant needs help

Are we talking about a Ficus? Or maybe a Carasula ovata? Can you post a picture.

o

• Posted by kflo none (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 17:24

Yes, Ficus.... Here 'tis.

o

It looks like it just wants a bigger pot and more water and it will be fine. You can seperate the fig from the Dracena too if you'd like.

o

Hi Kflo, welcome to Gardenweb!

Since the whole pot is not visible in your pic, I'm wondering about how the water drains from that setup. If wind never blows on your plant, there's nothing to cause it to become stronger. Removing a few of the leaves, and running some kind of fan to blow gently on the plants periodically, could help the stems to become stronger. I can't tell - is it one plant with branches or several individuals?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here