Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peat23

Spider Plant Seed Pod Ripen

peat23
12 years ago

I hand pollinated a spider plant flower and got a pod. Does anyone know long they take to ripen?

Comments (14)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Peat..Congrats on your success.

Since your thread was posted Monday, and no replies, either people didn't see this thread or don't have an answer. Including me. lol.

If nobody replies, perhaps you should repost on GW's Tropical Forum?

This is a guess, but maybe you should leave the pod be until it looks like it's going to burst open.

Sorry, never heard/read anyone pollinating Chlorophytum before, although I'm certain it's been done.

Good luck, Toni

• cliss
    12 years ago

One of my spider plants somehow got pollinated last winter, I'm still not sure how it happened... In any case, I didn't specifically time it, but I think it took them about two months to ripen; the pods started to dry out and wither a bit a week or so before bursting, iirc. Unfortunately I didn't manage to save any seeds to plant.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

My spider plant produced seeds all on it's own. The babies were all green. The white didn't pass thru to the offspring. But anything can come from a seed. Don't know much else. Good luck, plese post pictures of your progress.

• PRO
    Comfort Landscaping & Design
    11 years ago

Hey Stush2049, how long did it take for the seeds to germinate. I brought home a very large mother plant yesterday from work and have easily a couple hundred seed pods on mine. They keep dropping all over the floor so I plan on sowing some out as there is a good chance they cross pollinated with the other comosum we had at the greenhouse.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

DBC...would you happen to have a pic of your Spider? I've never heard, let alone seen a Chlorophytum producing seed pods, would love to view one..Thanks, Toni

• PRO
    11 years ago

Here you go, the pods are in a cluster of 3 from each flower. The seeds once dropped are about 2/3 the size of morning glory seeds. And are very annoying to roll over in my chair as I keep grinding them into the floor.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

That IS a giant mama! I've never gotten one to germinate, but my plants have produced seeds before. I should check the patch of these in my Mom's front yard, they should probably be removed if there are any. It's invasive enough without adding seeds to the picture.

Borrowing someone's pics found on google
    {{gwi:74127}}

{{gwi:74128}}

• PRO
    11 years ago

Yeah, I should have put a picture of the full plant as well. That's a best I can get without moving everything around.

11 years ago

Wow that's not a mama, that's a gramma! Where do you work?

This discussion prompted me to check my plants and I did find a couple seed pods. I remember the bees spending a lot of time on them when these flowers were open. Completely forgot to look at Mom's plants when I was there yesterday.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

DBC, that is one HUGE and BEAUTIFUL Chlorophytum.

By the pictures, I assume it's kept indoors?

Purple mentioned bees hovering around her Spiders...so does a Spider need bees 'for seeds, or not? I doubt you have bees in your home..lol.

I've never heard let alone seen seed pods on Chlorophytum. It's quite unique. IMO, rare.

How large are pods before seeds drop?

I now have to check my Spiders w/off-shoots..lol. Toni

• PRO
    11 years ago

I work at a garden center, we grow a lot of our own plants but some of the tropicals we bring in from another grower. These came in a few weeks ago, and I know I saw the mason bees and and honey bees and some of the butterflies around them. We had I think a dozen the same size, a 50/50 split between the green/white and green/yellow variety. So it has only been inside for a few days really, and once I harvest a bunch of the seeds and propagate some of the pups I'll put it out on the porch for a couple of months until the frost hits.

The pods are made up of 3 seeds, and each one is in a separate pod about a millimeter long and .75 millimeter wide.

• pigletcompany
    11 years ago

I get seeds on my spider plant as well. When it was full of flowers,i just ran my finger across all the flowers.... then seeds!!!! They haven't ripened yet though.

• Lamora
    11 years ago

and here mine doesn't even want to make new shoots! I am so jealous right now I could scream! Very pretty mamma plant fur sure. Do you know how old your plant is? Would love to know..

But as far as seeds go.. I have no idea.. sorry..
    Marjie

11 years ago

Noticed the pod I showed above on my plant was dry and starting to crack open today. Four seeds inside. The blooms were in June-July, so that's 3-4 months to ripen.

Peat, is that similar to how long yours took?