Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willows88

Leaves Problem

willows88
10 years ago

Hello, I've got a problem with one of our plants around the office that I can't seem to figure out (warning in advance - I'm a noob).

We've had it for a few years now and for the most part it's been doing well, only gets partial shade, water once a week. A few weeks ago we transplanted it to a bigger pot, regular potting soil. I was careful to not put too much water then and have continued to water in its regular manner.

Now there's a problem where the leaves are quickly turning yellow, usually brown at the tips, and then they completely go brown, shriveling up. At first I figured it was a lack of nitrogen, as the whole leaf turns yellow before it then browns and shrivels, so I gave it a dose of nutrients once a week for two weeks. It didn't change, so I got some foliar feed to try to go directly to the leaves, in case there was a soil or pH imbalance that was preventing the right nutrient intake.

It's still ongoing, and I'm not sure what to do. It seems like it'll continue spreading until it's dead. Has anyone seen this before? Any help is greatly appreciated! :)
I'll post in two more pictures to accompany this one. You can notice how some of the other leaves have already started to go yellow.

Comments (8)

• willows88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The second picture.

• willows88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And the last picture.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

fluoride sensitivity

• christine1950
    10 years ago

Hello Willow From what I can see of the soil it looks very dry, did you add any perlite to the mix? What brand of potting mix did you use? Besides it looking very dry it looks like its very light and powdery. Others will have more advice for you.
    Christine

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Yes, Dracs don't like fluoride (seemingly all of them, or at least the various ones I have, not just the species mentioned in this link.) I was trying to get a good look at the soil/pot too, might be coirpeat. Does the pot have a drain hole?

Could it be a little too cold for it on the floor (if that's where it usually sits?)

This plant looks kind of dusty, and I can't tell if there's stippling on the leaves (a pattern of tiny yellowish spots that are usually a sign of spider mites.) Do you see any spider webbing on the plant, especially on the bottom of the leaves?

• willows88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello everyone, thanks a lot for the responses.
    Okay, so let's see... the floor would be at regular room-temperature. The soil was just a generic-brand, regular potting soil intended for houseplants (no perlite). It was dry at the time; I've been watering it at the usual interval with as much as it's usually gotten for quite some time, but I figured since everyone noticed it, I'd give it a good watering and see if it helps make a difference. (No drainage hole, btw).
    I'll check it for signs of spider webs; we have a rose plant in another room that struggled with spider mites, so it's a possibility I suppose. Regarding fluoride sensitivity, I'm not sure what to think, since I'd presume that the new soil wouldn't be heavy on it, but who knows. Same water as always...

Would the plant respond this way if it was under-watered? Since it's been transplanted, it could be possible that I've underestimated its new needs. I'll get back to you about the spider mites. Any other ideas?

Thanks a lot! :)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

With no drain hole, every time you add tap water, fluoride (and any other chemicals) are building up in the soil. Even if using pure water, like rain, It's nearly impossible to not drown roots in a pot with no drain hole. You can use a plastic pot (that has holes in the bottom) that fits inside the more decorative pot. Remove it to water, let it finish dripping, then put it back, giving you the best of both worlds.

• willows88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So the yellowing of the leaves would be due to flouride, then? I guess I'll have to transplant it back into a plastic pot with holes and flush the roots and see if that helps. This should help for any kind of nutrient intake imbalance...Thanks a lot for the help! :)