Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What plant is this???

Posted by bsmith717 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 16:26

I purchased it a year or more ago from Walgreens/Lowes/HD and misplaced the tag. I cant for the life of me remember what the heck it was and multiple, multiple, multiple different google image searches have yeilded no matches.

I think it had pepper in the name but its not a pepper plant (produces fruit or anything like that).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What plant is this???

Peperomia

o

Nice, thats it!

Any idea which one or how to propagate it?

o

P. obtusifolia? I've killed had one of these but never propagated, will leave that to someone who has...

o

I was just doing some reading about it and decided to cut a lower leaf and put it in the moist soil. We shall see what happens!

o

i new that was pepperomia. my princible has one and ive suspected that. please share how to propagate

o

These can readily be propagated by taking a 4-6 inch stem cutting. Remove the lower leaves on the cutting and insert into moist potting medium. (You can't just take off a leaf as was mentioned earlier.)

That plant appears to be severely deprived of light. I strongly suggest that the new cutting be positioned in a better location.

o

I like the leggy office look! Being stretched, growing slower and requiring less frequent watering are all good things in my book. Its quite robust and the leaves are beautiful thick and succulent. Why would I want to mess that up?

o

I have propagated these from both cuttings and single leaves, all in soil. Once a leaf grows a new plant, you can remove the new plant and use that same leaf to grow yet another plant! I don't know how many times this can be done from the same leaf, but it is possible.

The photo is of a peperomia I started from a single leaf.

You can use a little rooting hormone to help the process along, but it is not necessary.

Good luck!

This post was edited by FrugalFanny on Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 14:45

o

I'm fairly certain the reason my Peperomia is slouching is because the light in my office has been off for longer thank normal.

Look like thats the problem?

photo IMG_3324_zpsa8743eee.jpg

o

Because the plant has been grown in much less light than it needs in order to develop properly, the stem is terribly weak. The taller the plant, the more difficult it is for it to support itself. This is not a recent event but started early on as this plant started to stretch and become spindly.

o

I thought you'd be the one to post back.

If only you would have told me this was going to happen earlier! ;)

Seriously though, I guess I just need to trim the branches and start rotating it back and forth from my office to a spot nearer a window perhaps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here