Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting a plant in a container

Posted by gcotterl riverside calif (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 16:27

Should I remove the unknown soil/potting mix from a plant before planting it in Fox Farm Ocean Forest Potting Soil?

Should I put a layer of gravel, pot shards or stones in the bottom of the container to improve drainage? (The container has a drain hole).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting a plant in a container

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 16:37

Should I put a layer of gravel, pot shards or stones in the bottom of the container to improve drainage?

No. that doesn't improve drainage. it makes it worse. When two different layers of material meet, it creates an effect called perching.

Use a piece of window screen or shade cloth over the hole to keep the soil in.

Here is a link that might be useful: container soil

o

Thanks.

Now back to my first question: Should I remove the unknown soil/potting mix from a plant before planting it in a totally different potting mix (such as Fox Farm Ocean Forest Potting Soil)?

o

Yes, always, otherwise it can interfere w/ adding the newer, fresher soil (hopefully faster draining) & rather defeats the whole point of changing the mix.

o

Agree with both. When you surround one kind/texture of soil with another, moisture can't move freely between them.

What kind of plant?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here