Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninecrow_uk

Anybody Still Got Their Poinsettia 2010?

ninecrow
14 years ago

Draven is 7 this Year and and Prowl 3

***WOOT***

Anyone Else????????????

Comments (45)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

Mine is 3 or 4 now. Doing really well, still has it's colors.
    Won't be long until it's pruning back time!

• tigerdawn
    14 years ago

I'm taking care of one for a friend. It's still red but starting to look less nice. I've heard they're really hard to keep all year. Is that true?

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

I'm a beginner in Poinsettias. This'll be my first year trying to keep my two alive. They've already lost all their leaves except for the colored bracts on top. Is this a sign that I'm not very good at Poinsettias? One of them is already starting to grow new leaves though.

• janeeyre
    14 years ago

All of the leaves fell off of mine too. I checked today and a few new leaves are growing now. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep the Poinsettia alive.

• laura1
    14 years ago

Bunnygurl...doesn't sound good ;-(
    from one who knows how to kill poinsettia!

• ashley_plant_addict
    14 years ago

Hey everyone! This will be my first year at keeping a poinsettia. :D

My work hard a small plant and at the end of Christmas they were going to throw it away because the leaves fell off and was becoming bare. I took it home hoping new leave would grow. AND HOW?!
    {{gwi:74480}}
    All the green you see is new growth! :D
    {{gwi:74482}}
    Don't worry bunnygurl, if I did it you can do it! :D I just watered when dry and gave it bright morning light on the windowsill. The poinsetta only had the top red leaves left and now there are lots of new leaves! This plant may not get the red back but will be lush and full of leaves!

Ashley

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Looking GOOD Ashley....

Draven is Still in Full Bract... He's Got Better Looking as the Christmas Season went on... If that makes any sense at all...

Don't forget if You are going to Cut Back....

***From Ecke Ranch The Daddy's of ALL Things Poinsettias***

By late March or early April, cut your poinsettia back to about 8" in height. Continue a regular watering program, and fertilize your plant with a good, balanced all-purpose fertilizer. By the end of May, you should see vigorous new growth.

NC

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

I'll be cutting my plant back in a few weeks. She still looks good.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tommy Please Let Us know when You do the cut back
    Thanks

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

Will do Nine!

• ashley_plant_addict
    14 years ago

I haven't had luck with trimming back a poinsette so I'll wait to see what you do, Tommyr.

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

I'm not sure exactly how to cut mine back. They both have short one short little stem each coming out of the soil then about 5 or so stems coming off of that.

Do I cut back each stem or do I cut back onto the main stem, but that would only leave maybe an inch or so of stem, not 8 like above mentioned.

Maybe just leave the tiny little main stem alone and cut back each of the branches off of that?

Thanks for any help. I'd really like to succeed with these. They're neat plants and plus....I've named them. The red one is Sparkles and the white one is Kenny. Dunno where the names came from...just kinda pulled them outta my butt.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

You can cut one or all back if you wish. Just use a sharp pair of scissors. Cut just above where a leaf is attached. Then After cutting back keep the soil moist but not soaking wet. New leaves will emerge in a week or 2. Bright, indirect sun. I have not cut mine yet, maybe this weekend.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

Cut back my Point today. When they start to look shot go for it.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I Cut Back Draven and Prowl Today.......

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

I do..In case I missed it. What does one do to get the red color back though..

Mine is getting so big, lush and green..It is a two year old plant...

Thank you..

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

Come October 1st they need 40 12-14 hour nights of COMPLETE darkness. During the day they get normal light levels and feed.

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

I just cut mine back quite a bit and repotted as well a couple days ago. Hope this isn't detrimental to do that at the same time, but they're little stubs seem happy enough.

• threas
    14 years ago

My Poinsettia still looks great. Will I mess it up by not cutting back yet?

Theresa

• tigerdawn
    14 years ago

My point is losing leaves every now and then but it is still red and there is new growth amidst the bracts. Should I cut it back or leave it?

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Good luck everyone! Mine all died from the FL freeze this winter(very bad winter for us). I had so many other plants and fruit trees to protect, those got accidentally overlooked.

Tigerdawn, when I had mine...by this time, I have already pruned it, so it will get a nice full canopy. Prune it short so it will come in nice and full. Then around early summer trim(pinch it off) at the tips only to encourage fullness, then by late Sept(25th thr Oct 1st)...the darkening process starts. Good luck!

Here's a good link that might be useful...

Here is a link that might be useful: Reblooming your Poinsettia

• threas
    14 years ago

Awww pug, sorry to here about your poinsettias! They were so beautiful!

Theresa

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thanks for the sympathies Theresa...I will just have to get another one next Christmas and start over.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update....

ALL The cuttings I took using the Prunings from the Cut Back have taken....

Should Be Fun When it Comes to Doing the Light Control Thingy ***Grin***

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    13 years ago

Hi all! I am still here. My point is doing very well. I'm keeping her about the same size as last year.

Pug, we all have to start over at some point (no pun intended!) so just get another! I had to 3 years ago myself.

Tom

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Any Updates Guys?

Well, After some Resurch on Prowl (Cortez Burgandy) I'm going to Start Light Control on the 20th of Sept....
    Why???
    Because I've found out that It finishes Colouring up later and Its is more difficult than most Others.....

Think I might Start Draven with Prowl...
    Why?
    Because Dravens Colour Seems to be Get better After Christmas, so I'm Thinking that if I start Earliar Maybe He'll be Even Better Looking This Christmas...

Does Any of That Make Sense????
    NC

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Starts Tonight!!!
    Anybody Else Staring Tonight?

• wandering_willow
    13 years ago

I have never had a poinsettia as my family does not celebrate Xmas, but I have always found them pretty and after reading this thread am very interested in giving them a try! I also really like that yours have names Ninecrow - many of my plants have names as well and I chat with them :).

I think I will get one when they go on sale this xmas season - you all have inspired me! :)

-Willow

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    13 years ago

Funny you bring this up Nine, I DID start mine this evening!

About 2 weeks early.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Any Updates Guys?

Draven is Looking Good, Waiting for 1st Colour now... Prowl's Not so good, I'm Unsure as to Why.... ***Sigh***

Interesting Point Video Link....

http://www.starsforeurope.com/tv_footage/index_eng.html

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

1st Colour ***WOOOT*** Just a Hint But its There!!!!!

Anyone Else????????

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    13 years ago

No color yet on mine, it's been 30 days so far for me.

• threas
    13 years ago

I'm sooo bad this year. Didn't cut mine back or start dark treatment. There's always next year...

Theresa

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    13 years ago

That's o.k. Teresa, they are nice in or out of color!

• paul_
    13 years ago

Poinsettas are strictly a "disposable" plant for me. Getting them to rebloom is too much of a hassle (I remember my mom trying several times to no avail) and the foliage isn't remarkable enough to justify giving up my precious and very limited space. I do remember a nice 6ft tall and wide one in a neighbor's yard when I lived in Hawaii. Theirs bloomed yearly without any fussing.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    13 years ago

BUMP!

Only the smallest leaves on mine turned this year. Otherwise she's doing well. How 'bout YOU?!

• beetle_2007
    13 years ago

Hi Nine, Tommy , everyone :)
    I don't have pics yet, but two of the three I have are Finally coloring up! [JOY] so when they are a little farther along, I'll take some pics:)

• bunnygurl
    13 years ago

Neither of the Poinsettas I bought last year made it to this year. All their leaves fell of then the stems got brown and wrinkly, but not mushy. Perhaps drying out too much?

Anyways, I bought another one today. It's in a 4in plastic pot, full and luscious and the bracts are pink edged in cream. I'll post a pic later today if I remember. It's really quite beautiful.

I'm heading back to the garden centre with my mother today (twice in one day, yes I'm addicted) and they had little tiny baby ones, so I may grab one of those while I'm there again. There were a few other plants there that I wanted but I ran out of money...so I'm brining my mother. Teehee. I'm an evil genious!

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

NO Photos from Me for a While..... The Lead from Camera to Computer has grown legs... Sorry Guys....

Draven is Still Going though and is now 24 Inches High with pot... ***WOOOT***

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    13 years ago

BUMP!

Here's mine this fall prior to starting the color cycle. Only her top smallest leaves colored up this year.

{{gwi:74484}}

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That is One GOOD Looking Point Tommy!!!
    Please Will you show Us Her in Colour....
    Thanks

***Side Note***

I got a Card Reader for Christmas.... So hopefully when I've worked out how to use it Photos of Draven will be shown

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    13 years ago

I'll take a pic later today. She didn't "dress up" much this season though.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    13 years ago

As promised! Not much color this year:

{{gwi:72634}}

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Still a Nice Plant Tommy How Tall is Yours?
    Draven Was 46 Inches including pot at Last Messaure...
    NC

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    13 years ago

Not tall, about 14 inches. I cut her back to half in March.