Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Droopy umbrella/Schefflera plant

Posted by mextex12 none (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 17:13

I have recently caught the bug and have been collecting houseplants, nothing to unusal but my wish list is growing. Anyway I've been lurking on this forum for a few weeks and am sure one of you helpful bunch can help me out.

I Bought this just a few weeks ago, was in great condition, glossy leaves, however I'm concerned about the top leaves, they droop downwards. The variegation is not as profound either (tho this could be an age thing), unlike the lower leaves which are perky and bright. Ive consulted my houseplant bible, but there is no mention of the problem.Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Droopy umbrella/Schefflera plant

And here is a pic of the lower leaves, you can see the difference.

o

Does this plant receive sufficient sunlight?

o

Check closely for insects as well.

o

Needs more light

o

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb! That was my thinking too, more light, especially seeing that you're in England. Probably not much sun there lately. When variegation fades, in general on any plant, it's almost always a sign of insufficient light.

I've not had this regular-size Scheff but on the mini one, S. arbicola, new leaves come in at an angle like that, and become more flat/upright as they mature. When I loaded up a google search, I saw many pics of the same thing on the newest leaves. Do the more experienced people with this plant agree?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here