Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting in Glass

Posted by tporter17 none (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 18, 12 at 17:14

I bought a plant yesterday and I have a medium sized glass cylinder vase that I would like to use as a planter. I've searched everywhere online and the only advice I saw was to use some kind of gravel or stones at the bottom, then a coffee filter, and then dirt. Has anyone tried this with success, or does anyone have some different advice?

A note, I'm not interested in a terrarium or placing fake flowers in the vase. I would really like to find a way to use the vase as a planter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting in Glass

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 18, 12 at 18:48

Take it to a glass company and have a hole drilled in the bottom .....

I'm afraid that what you suggested with the coffee filter .... will find you with badly fouled water in the bottom of the container before long.

The problem with an enclosed system is that salts from tapwater and fertilizers build up in the soil and cause problems. You can avoid this to a degree by using distilled or otherwise deionized water (water from a dehumidifier, snowmelt, rain water. RO water .....) and watering carefully, and fertilizing with fish emulsion. Keep in mind though that the enlopsed system is very unforgiving of over-watering.

Al

o

I am thinking your best bet might be a plant that doesn't require soil to do well. For example, a lot of people display Tillandsia ("air plant") in glass orbs or jars without any soil (though you do have to watch out for rot if you water them in the container).
Another idea would be to fill the vase with water and grow a plant cutting that can root and survive in water. There are many plants that can adapt to growing in water.
Wandering jew, spider plant, sygonium, aglaonema (Chinese evergreen), and pothos are just a few of the many plants that can survive longterm in water.
You'd want to change the water periodically to avoid the water becoming foul.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tillandsia display idea

o

• Posted by val1 z4 UT (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 19, 12 at 12:07

You might also consider planting Lucky Bamboo (dracaena sanderiana). They do well planted in stones in a glass vase. My daughter has some that are doing wonderfully. From what we have read, they need distilled water and special fertilizer to thrive. Water must also be changed weekly.

o

Porter..How about growing hydroponically?

Soil is not needed. Instead you'd need stones, marbles, sand, etc, or a product called Hydroton to keep roots in place and plant from tipping over.

Val...Lucky Bamboo can be grown in plain, ordinary tap water. No need for distilled. Toni

o

Thanks everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here