Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another new plant - but what is it?

Posted by greybird_keke MO (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 17:16

A friend gave me this plant today, and she couldn't remember the name of it...but the mother plant was growing in a hanging basket, and this was one of several pups that were hanging down sort of like spider plants. Anyone know what it is? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another new plant - but what is it?

Bromeliad.

o

I believe with your description of the pups as hanging like baby spider plants, it could be Callisia fragrans. The link below has a photo of one with pups that are hanging like baby spider plants. The second photo down is the one I'm referring to.

Planto

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to GW Post with Callisia fragrans photo

o

I too was going to say Callisia (or Tradescantia of some kind). If one looks at the inner crown area of the plant, it's a similar growth habit to Tradescantias & Callisias. I believe C. fragrans has baby plantlets on stolons like a Spider plant. Fun plants, can be fast growers even indoors, as I experienced. Nice find, enjoy!

o

Thanks for the help everyone, after looking at the photos I'm sure it must be Callisia fragrans. I found that it is also called "false bromeliad", too!

o

Greybird,
Sure thing! Hopefully yours will make lots of babies down the road so you'll have something to share with your friends. :)

Planto

o

I think Callisia fragrans too but can you show a pic from the side?

Hopefully you will get some flowers on it sometime. Not much to look at but the smell is incredible!

o

If that's what it is, it's a wild plant that will invade your other pots if it gets a chance. I think you'll want to put it in a hanging basket very soon because stolons will start shooting out the sides. Soon after that, you'll be foisting pieces of it on people, insisting they take it 'cuz you're running out of room.

Truly an Audrey.

o

It looks a lot like this Tradescantia. Hard to find. I had some growing in a large pot outside but a very hard freeze we had 3 winters ago killed it. It will get really big if you let it. It's definitely not a bromeliad.

o

Eahamel, that's Callisia fragrans.

o

The stolons can make more stolons. Just remembered this pic looking through my pics.

o

Lucky you! I love this plant. Sure wish I had one. Enjoy it!

o

I'd be happy to send this plant to anyone interested, for the postage or trade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here