Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomtom6868

Money Trees are dying..Please help

tomtom6868
10 years ago

Hello,

I am new to this forum and I have been reading a lot of posts about the money trees. I have this money trees for over a year and recently it started to have some yellow leaves and brown spotted leaves. I decided to repot (to a bigger pot), pruned the roots, watered thoroughly with distilled water and put it by the window to get some indirect sunlights (about 2 weeks now). I also cut off some of the branches that had brown spotted on the leaves.

This is how it looks now (see 4 pictures).. and it is not getting much better or healthier =(

I also noticed some of the trunks are really soft and soggy which I know it is not a good sign =((

Please help!!!

Thank you.

Comments (25)

• tomtom6868
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pic

• tomtom6868
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last one

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Hello Tom-Tom,

No, soft trunks are NOT good.

Sounds like soil is staying way too wet.

If you tend to over-water, re-potting in a larger container will only make things worse.
    If it's not too late already.

Are all stems soft? Do they bend without much force?

I attempted growing Pachira as a tropical, different times, without success.
    Back in the 90's, I ordered Pachira cutting, 'w/o knowing it's ID. It was sold as a thick-truck plant..A cutting, that would one day have a thick trunk. lol

Since then, my Money Tree has been cared for as a succulent, and under-potted.
    Heck, actually neglected..lol.

I added braided Pachira, it too is under-potted and soil is watered whenever..until it's bone dry actually.

I don't know if it's the photo or lighting, but leaves look a tad pale..Have you checked for insects? Especially mites.

• sradleye
    10 years ago

was noticing that "lucky bamboo" in the pic looks like it is yellowing too. Maybe Toni is on to something with the mites?

• tomtom6868
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Hope!!! Unfortunately I did move it to a bigger container. Should I move it back?? The stems are ok for now. They don't bend that easy.
    Another thing I forgot to mention was I also moved it by the window after repotting. It was inside my office not near any windows.

Sradleye, the bamboo tree was repotted yesterday. I cut some of the stocks and propagated. Also pruned the roots. I didn't notice until you pointed out .. Must have overlooked it since I'm worried about my bamboo tree .. Will post some pics of it Monday.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

The soft trunks are completely rotten, unfortunately.

Remove those trunks immediately and toss anything that is soft or rotten.

Re-potting this time of year is especially hard on plants, and Pachira is no different - they will sulk for a long time after a Winter re-potting, let alone a root-pruning *and* transfer to an over-sized container.

I think the best you can do is remove the dead trunks, down-pot, and then move the container as close to a sunny window as possible - direct light through a window is what it needs, and the sun through a window won't burn the plant, so no worries.

When you said you cut off "branches," I think you meant that you cut off the leaves. I would leave every leaf until it falls of naturally, so that the plant can take back whatever nutrients are left in the tissue.

Good luck.

Josh

• tomtom6868
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the advices. I will remove any rotten trunks and down pot it. How should I water the plants?? Any fertilizers recommended during this time or just water it??
    Yes I meant to cut off the leaves and I already cut a lot of them off unfortunately =(
    Will update after down pot today..

10 years ago

After re-potting, you should thoroughly water the plant so that the mix is evenly moist. Be sure that the container is not sitting in any water. Good drainage and aeration is essential. One week after potting, fertilize with a 1/2 strength dose.

Josh

• tomtom6868
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Josh,

Just went to home depot and pick up a bag of potting mix.. Is that ok for the plant?? Here are some pics...

Thanks

• tomtom6868
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Its current condition and the potting mix

• tomtom6868
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more pic

• lucillle
    10 years ago

If you do a search on this forum for money trees, you will see others discouraging a peat based mix especially one advertised to hold water. A grittier mix is preferred, perhaps with bark, pumice, perlite.

Check out some past threads with a search.

• tomtom6868
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got it Lucille!!! Just finished repotted to a small container using mix bark, pumice and perlite..

Josh, watered thoroughly and will fertilize it in a week like you said..

• tomtom6868
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are the rotten trunks

10 years ago

Very good.
    Yeah, "Moisture Control" peat-based mix is really discouraged for houseplants. I'm glad you went with a bark-based mix, as the plant will be much happier in the long run. The key is to use a mix that will dry out during the Winter when things are cold and gloomy....the trade off is that you will water more often during the Summer, but most of us enjoy that :-)

I hope the remaining trunks survive.

Josh

• tomtom6868
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advices!!! I will update it in couple weeks and hopefully it will survive =)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Those pots do have drainage holes in the bottom, don't they? They look rather like cache pots. If there's no hole(s) that's a big part of your problem.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Tom-Tom..Yesterday, while looking at your Pachira photo, I thought, something isn't right.
    This morning, it hit me. I then researched.

Some leaves look pointy, while others round.
    Does your Pachira have pointy or round tips?

Pachira aquatica have pointy leaves, whereas P. quinata are rounder.

P. aquatica lives in boggy areas, P. quinata are from dryer regions.

Just a thought. Toni

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I too wondered if those pots have drainage holes, if not there's likely to be trouble ahead.

10 years ago

I'm almost positive that there is drainage....in the re-pot pic, I think I can see the water that has drained out of the pot on the wood below....and then, of course, there's the matching saucer, which I wouldn't expect to see unless there were a drain hole.

I'm also fairly certain that this is Pachira aquatica, and any rounded leaves (dead tips) are due to the cultural conditions in which its been grown.

Josh

• tomtom6868
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all,

Yes the pots have holes or drainage and you are absolutely right Josh!! There is a matching saucer for it and it's also a P. aquatica.
    My coworker thought my trees would die so she bought me another one!!! I also repotted it. I made a bet with her that my money plant would survive and live on... How could I loose when I have all the helps from the experts here!!! =))

• tomtom6868
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's been 2 days since last repot and I moved it by the window

Also here is my new money trees from the coworker =)

• tomtom6868
    Original Author
    10 years ago

New money trees

• tomtom6868
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Recovering???

10 years ago

Give it time :-)
    Too soon to tell if it will recover.