Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID the sans...................

Posted by elkay 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 29, 12 at 17:29

Just picked this up today from the greenhouse. They are usually good about putting the whole name on the label, but this one only says..."Sansevieria Ass't".

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Also, I'm excited about my Streptocarpus Bristol's Cat Dance sending up a flower shoot!

Photobucket
Sorry it's blurry.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID the sans...................

Someone may step in and correct me, but I do believe that is a Sansevieria trifasciata 'Golden Hahnii'. Very pretty!

o

I could be corrected along with lenle, but I agree it looks like Sansevieria trifasciata 'Golden Hahnii'. I also agree, very pretty! I wish our local greenhouse carried something like that. >.<

o

Be sure to give your plant plenty of sunlight, in order to maintain the striking colors.

o

variegated sans need only morning sun, some shade, or they fade and might have sunburns. Also this type of sans( birdnest) is prone to rot if overwatered. Please change the soil to fast draining and avoid peat. During the winter they need minimum water or they rot. if you need more info ask people on sans forum.
Inna

o

Thanks for the info, all!

o

No problem. I'm still envious of you though. ;)

o

I was just looking in today. And yes it is S. trifasciata 'Golden Hahnii'. It is my favorite one in my collection. I got mine at Giant Eagle super market. On sale yet for only $3.50 or so. They had 4 of them and I wanted to buy all 4 but my wife was already mad at me for buying another house plant. After having it several years. It is almost the same. They love heat. Keep it during winter at least 80 degrees if possible. Mine is at 65 degrees and it shows.

o

Very pretty sans!

o

I've only ever seen a S. trifasciata 'Golden Hahnii' here at a local HD. It was in one of those combination pots (with other succulents and some cacti); everything in the pot other than the Sans was rotted to the soil level. I asked for a discount and was told I had to contact the actual seller to obtain one, that otherwise I'd have to pay full price for the entire thing ($12 mind you). I really love the coloring of this Sans but to take a chance that the roots were rotted (even if they weren't, $12 was too much for me at the time), I didn't pick it up amd I haven't seen one since. I'm also jealous of you Stush. ;)

o

I only wish mine produced pups like the one above. I got maybe 2 pups in over 2 years. If I could, I would send everyone out one. Just a very slow grower. I guess if it was like my others, They would be every where.
I just wish I could have returned and bought the other 3. They were gone one week later. I guess it's no good being a hog. Some one else gets to enjoy them. I only hope they know how to take care of this one.

o

Stush,
It's ok. :) I'm sure other people fell in love with this particular Sans as fast as you did; I hope they know how to take care of it as well as you do too. Maybe the rest of us will be as lucky in finding one in the future.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here