Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grrr4200

Al, Im going to need your help with this one!

grrr4200
11 years ago

6 or 7 years ago i received a ficus benj. from someone who no longer wanted it. It was large, about 7 feet with multi trunks. I've taken it out of its pot and gave it fresh dirt but unlike my other trees i have never fully removed all the soil and gave fresh.

Al, this thing is a mess! No wonder why it has been steadily declining. I think this was one of my trees that i said 'oh i'll do it next' and never got around to it.

Well about a month ago i had a mealy bug outbreak from a plant i got at a nursery that was hanging by this large ficus... next thing i know... their everywhere! and instead of trying to battle the little fuzzy white guys in the canopy i decided to chop it. So i did. Left the main stalk tall and the other multi stems short. I said to myself 'i will separate these and make 2 ficus tree's. Well im just NOW getting around to splitting the two.

The soil is so compact where the old dirt (original i would have to say) is, i am literally hammering away at it. (delicately though to ensure i dont damage what roots it has) I will be posting pictures of the root mass for you to look at. I've seen you do some amazing work with roots (thinking back on a thread of yours). And i am in desperate need of your help!

Comments (8)