Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Al, Im going to need your help with this one!

Posted by grrr4200 z3 MI (shatteredwindow@hotmail.com) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 17:30

6 or 7 years ago i received a ficus benj. from someone who no longer wanted it. It was large, about 7 feet with multi trunks. I've taken it out of its pot and gave it fresh dirt but unlike my other trees i have never fully removed all the soil and gave fresh.

Al, this thing is a mess! No wonder why it has been steadily declining. I think this was one of my trees that i said 'oh i'll do it next' and never got around to it.

Well about a month ago i had a mealy bug outbreak from a plant i got at a nursery that was hanging by this large ficus... next thing i know... their everywhere! and instead of trying to battle the little fuzzy white guys in the canopy i decided to chop it. So i did. Left the main stalk tall and the other multi stems short. I said to myself 'i will separate these and make 2 ficus tree's. Well im just NOW getting around to splitting the two.

The soil is so compact where the old dirt (original i would have to say) is, i am literally hammering away at it. (delicately though to ensure i dont damage what roots it has) I will be posting pictures of the root mass for you to look at. I've seen you do some amazing work with roots (thinking back on a thread of yours). And i am in desperate need of your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Al, Im going to need your help with this one!

i took pictures, i just have to upload them and post them.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 20:59

Haven't been around much lately, but I did see your post. I'll be watching for the pictures & any other info you offer. I think I asked you before, but you must be inda UP, eh? ;-)

Al

o

I've been attempting to put the images directly into this message as well as uploading them regular. They wont work. Heres a link to flikr where i posted the pics of the roots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53400126@N07/8446687248/in/photostream

currently put the stumps and root section in a bucket of water to try to get it some moisture.

o

Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 9:46

Because of the time of year, I would saw or prune off only the bottom 1/4 of the root mass. If you use a saw, be sure to clean up the ragged ends of the cuts with a sharp pair of bypass pruners (not anvil type). In the end, you want your root mass to look like the stays on an umbrella - the area immediately under the trunk will be entirely free of roots. You can't do that all at once, but you can get started.

Photobucket

First, prune any roots that are abnormally formed with j-bends or are iobvious conflict with other roots, as well as any girdling or encircling roots. Prune off any roots growing upward or back toward the center of the root mass. Start hollowing out the underside of that umbrella, but don't remove more than 1/2 of the total root mass now. Repot into a FAST draining soil and keep the soil damp, not wet. Give it good light & try to keep soil temps above 65*. Humidity around 50% is great if you can manage it, but I know that's tough. Water the new planting in with a half strength dose of MG 24-8-16, 12-4-8, or FP 9-3-6 if you have it. Secure the tree to the pot so it can't move in relation to the pot.

Photobucket

Further questions?

Al

o

thank you so much Al! You're a life saver!

o

Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 21:12

Photobucket Al

o

Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 21:14

Photobucket Lol - I just happened to think ..... That's not me taking a bow, it's me bowing to you for your kind words. ;-)

Al

o

I say bow! Thank you so much! and im sorry i put you on the spot on this one. I just knew you'd be the one who'd give me the best advice regarding this plant :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here