Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant ID - fern-leaf aralia?

Posted by petrushka z7b (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 17:30

i grew this from a cutting. i think it's polyscias filicifolia. common name fern-leaf aralia or panax. it deffinitely shows aralia like stems and growth habit. it seems it's not available commercially. it seems it's common in hawaii. it also shows on palm beach county list as a rare plant?
i just totally love it's pendulous lacy branches.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant ID - fern-leaf aralia?

That's exactly what it is, Petrushka! What a stunning plant. I've never seen one in person, but have enjoyed viewing all of the pictures on the internet, thanks to you.

o

i took a cutting in the hotel (under cover of the nite and watchfully observing the site for maids) - just couldn't help myself. and flew it in the suitcase :). well, 3 cuttings to be on the safe side. it grew bagged for a year. it's about 3 years old now and almost 3 ' from the pot. i bag it for winter to maintain warmth. and dote on it. i seemed to find it on all kinds of foreign sites: german, japanese, russian, turkish, but no american. seems nobody here is growing it. although in hawaii it seems abandant. did you see a variegated and golden ones? stunners!
just out of curiosity, do they allow you to take cuttings of plants with you on the plane OUT of hawaii? i know, they don't allow anything IN-coming.

o

Nope to the illegal transport of cuttings and nope to the swiping of cuttngs from a plant that does not belong to you.

The rules of common morality suggests that you ASK before taking cuttings, whether from a parking lot, a restaurant, a hotel, a garden center, etc. I've asked hundreds of times over the years and have only been refused once.

o

je-ez, good for you!

o

Well, I don't think I told you anything you didn't already know. If you ask, you won't have to sneak "under cover of night ", lol.

o

So may I ask pls. is this fern leaf Aralia related to the Ming Aralia (Polyscia Ming)? & my beloved Balfour Aralia (of which I just lost my last small pot?) <(

Very nice plant.

o

ming is fruticosa. yeh, they're all related.
rhizo, i was jesting, overdramatizing a little. perhaps, if i put a smilie it would help. it's literally the only cutting i ever took and i have absolutely no qualms about it. lets leave it at that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here