Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can this plant be saved?

Posted by tomatotomata (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 17:40

An old china doll, now mostly woody stems and not much in the way of pretty, glossy leaves. It's about 5 feet tall, not counting the pot.
I know from reading previous GW posts that it is supposed to get leggy, but I don't find it very attractive any more. If I cut it way back, will it get bushier, or will I just be torturing the poor thing? I plan on pruning its roots and replacing the soil.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can this plant be saved?

Replacing the soil would absolutely be a good idea, and you could also cut it a lot back. In my opinion there is hope! :)

o

At first glance I thought your plant was a Ming...

Yes, cut it back, shape to your desire...it should grow compact. Toni

o

Where do you live?
If a colder area, best to wait until Summer to re-pot and/or prune.

For the time being, I would fertilize the plant.

Josh

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 16:25

What josh said - plus, I would flush the soil and pot-up slightly after disturbing the outer part of the root ball. In order of what I would do to rejuvenate the plant:

A) Flush the soil thoroughly by pouring at least 10 times the volume of the pot it's in through the soil. This is like hitting your fertilizer 'reset' button because it rinses all the excess salts from the soil that have built up over time.
B) remove the plant from that pot and move it to one only slightly larger. Use a nut pick or screwdriver to tease any circling roots from the outside of the root mass before potting up. BTW, the 'potting up' is only a temporary measure to help you get the plant through to a more appropriate time to repot, which like Josh said is summer.
C) Fertilize immediately after you flush the soil or wait until it needs its first watering. Use something with a 3:1:2 NKP ratio. Ratios are different than NPK %s. 24-8-16, 12-4-8, and 9-3-6 are all examples of 3:1:2 ratios. I use Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 by Dyna-Grow because it has ALL the nutrients essential to normal growth (most soluble fertilizers lack several important nutrients - especially Ca and Mg), in a favorable ratio, and it derives most of its N from nitrate sources (not from urea) which helps to keep your plants compact and from getting leggy.
D) Around Father's Day, I would repot into a good soil - one that allows you to water correctly.
E) When there is evidence the plant is pushing new growth, I would cut it back hard. If the plant is healthy, it will tolerate a hard pruning w/o complaint. Something is going on with my server right now, painfully slow, so I can't show pictures of a hard pruning of a China doll - perhaps when things are squared away there.
F) I would repot it at regular intervals - probably every 2 years - 3 years max. If you follow the steps, there is no reason you can't keep your tree healthy and beautiful long enough to pass it down a generation or two, or more.

Al

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 17:06

photo C<a href= photo ChinaDoll010.jpghinaDoll003.jpg"/>

o

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. If all goes well I'll post a follow-up pic next year. (maybe by then I'll be able to post pics right-side-up).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here