Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newengland11

How to keep my English Ivy alive?

newengland11
12 years ago

I think I overwater my hedera helix aka english ivy. Its leaves are drying out now. What should I do? (It is indoors. Office plant) Thanks!

Comment (1)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

Usually, the main challenge with houseplants is to use a soil that allows you to water properly; that is to say so you can flush the soil to prevent salts from tap water and fertilizers from accumulating. If your soil is an impediment to your being able to water like that, because if you do you risk the soil remaining soggy for extended periods, you might consider another choice because your soil is limiting your (plant's) potential.

I said 'usually', because spider mites are a known issue with Hedera. You need to keep your plant mite-free for it to be healthy, so I would suggest the first thing you do would be to check for mites.

After those considerations, you might consider that the plant needs almost perfect root health to tolerate the humidity levels common to many office environments. In short, it's a somewhat finicky plant indoors unless you're able to give it what it wants.

The link below might be of some help.

Best to you!

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Get an overview by clicking on me!