Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which To Choose: Citrus Or Desert Rose?

Posted by moonwolf Z6 Central PA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 18, 12 at 17:55

Hi everyone,

I'm on the hunt for a new house plant and this time I'm eying Citrus and Desert Roses. It's for my south facing window but it'll go outside once warm weather arrives.

The Citrus I would like for the fragrance but I love the colors of the Desert Roses. Truth be told, I miss the fragrance of my sweet olive :(. Then, I remembered hearing about Citruses and how sweet they smell :).

Which plant should I go with?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which To Choose: Citrus Or Desert Rose?

I'd vote for Citrus. Foliage, flowers, and fruit.
Plus, I think it'll do better indoors during the winter where you live.

Josh

o

I remember your sweet olive posts. That was sad. I say go for the citrus!
I bought a calamondin and kumquat on clearance last fall. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they've done indoors over the winter (southern exposure, humidity maybe around 35-40%). I was expecting them to be clinging to life indoors but I've been very fortunate to see them stay healthy and the kumquat has put out some new growth. I'd recommend giving one of them a try.
I think since you plan to summer them outdoors they'll do well for you.

o

If you go with citrus, be prepared not to be able to stop with one. Citrus bug bite is bad for all bitten. For the average home grower Calamondin or kumquat is probably best and easiest. Good luck!

o

Hi Moon..want my opinion? Buy both...lol.

Adenium and Citrus are lovely.

However, if you're looking for fragrance, go with Citrus. Some varieties flower most of the year. Examples: Meyer Lemon, Calamondin, Kumquats, 'seem ever-blooming,' and a close relative, Murraya.

But, Adeniums are charming, too. It's possible, somewhere in the world, a fragrant Desert Rose exists..Thailand, etc. Adeniums thick-trunks are real conversation pieces, especially planted in ornate, shallow containers.

Each require a south window, preferrably summered outdoors.

Out of the two, Adenium is easier to grow although much slower than Citrus.

You also must consider air, 'humid or dry,' etc. Toni

o

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I am still looking over other plant options. Maybe even trying Sweet Olive again. I remember what I did wrong with it and I'd probably still have it if I didn't plant it in a terra cotta pot. We'll see though!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here