Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Buckeye seedlings dying? (help!)

Posted by OrangeMouse LI, NY (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 17:58

Hi everyone--

I've recently found that my red buckeye seedlings are drying out at the tips of their leaves. It is a little worrisome as (though I placed my two seedlings in different spots) on one the drying out has pretty much killed off an entire 5 leaf formation (both seedlings are only at the stage where they have two 5 leaf formations and what looks like a tiny bud at the fork of the stem in between).

I started these buckeyes from seeds collected on the ground under a beautiful plant at a local arboretum.

This drying out of the leaf tips started very subtly when they were in their original window (northeast, mostly east, ground floor). I moved one (the one that did worse) to a table near a South-west (but mostly west) window that gets a lot of direct rays in the afternoon, and the one that did better to a table directly under a window facing northeast (mostly east, second floor).

Despite that they were drying out in their original location, I thought that because my west-window one dried out so much and looks nearly dead, it might have to do with light. But then my other one dried out a tiny bit more...so I'm a little worried about it!

Are my buckeyes dying? Is it light? Water? Is it a lost cause trying to grow red buckeyes inside?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Buckeye seedlings dying? (help!)

Yes, I think it's a lost cause trying to grow Buckeyes indoors. Can you collect some more of the seed and leave them outdoors to wake up on their own time schedule? Out here in California, my Buckeyes haven't even broken bud yet, and I'm wagering that it's quite a bit warmer where I am.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here