Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orangemouse

Red Buckeye seedlings dying? (help!)

orangemouse
10 years ago

Hi everyone--

I've recently found that my red buckeye seedlings are drying out at the tips of their leaves. It is a little worrisome as (though I placed my two seedlings in different spots) on one the drying out has pretty much killed off an entire 5 leaf formation (both seedlings are only at the stage where they have two 5 leaf formations and what looks like a tiny bud at the fork of the stem in between).

I started these buckeyes from seeds collected on the ground under a beautiful plant at a local arboretum.

This drying out of the leaf tips started very subtly when they were in their original window (northeast, mostly east, ground floor). I moved one (the one that did worse) to a table near a South-west (but mostly west) window that gets a lot of direct rays in the afternoon, and the one that did better to a table directly under a window facing northeast (mostly east, second floor).

Despite that they were drying out in their original location, I thought that because my west-window one dried out so much and looks nearly dead, it might have to do with light. But then my other one dried out a tiny bit more...so I'm a little worried about it!

Are my buckeyes dying? Is it light? Water? Is it a lost cause trying to grow red buckeyes inside?

Comment (1)