Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taskeinc

Selling Houseplants online

taskeinc
17 years ago

I have over 60 beautiful house plants at home. I'm in the Atlanta area. I was wondering if there are any places to sell plants on or offline??

Comments (17)

• gabro14
    17 years ago

You can sell them online at Ebay if you don't mind shipping, or you can sell them on Craigslist.com if you don't want to ship (people in your area can come pick them up). Either way, you should post pics on the sites....you're more likely to sell them if you do. But lots of people buy plants from Ebay...if you do that find out the best way to ship plants. But I would definitely wait until Spring if you're going to ship. If you ship bareroot, you probably want to wrap the rootball in soil and wet it well, then wrap in saran wrap and surround with newspaper in the box. If you ship with the pot maybe wrap the pot with wet newspaper, and fill up the box with dry newspaper. Mark "live plant" on box and ship priority mail. But there are probably others here who have shipped who can tell you better. Shipping big plants will be tough though!
    Good luck,
    Gabi

• webkat5
    17 years ago

You can also trade them for stuff over on the plant exchange forum.

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

I used to have a sale every year, and people looked for it--just extra plants I didn't have room for anymore. They just came to the house, and I think I sold them on the front porch. Fun! Don't know why I don't do it anymore!

• javamilk
    17 years ago

Do you have a community flea/farmer's market? I've gotten a lot of neat plants that way. It doesn't cost much in set-up ($10 here) and gets a lot of traffic.

• kareen_2007
    17 years ago

I would post a ad in the post office and tell all the locals that you are having a plant sale, I would have the sale for 2 days not just one in case people could not make either day.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

Kevn....spam is not allowed in the gardenweb.

• lmontestella
    7 years ago

Hi Rhizo (you're still around)

Hi, Any idea why this 8 yr. old thread popped back up? You seem to have posted on it, seems perplexing.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    7 years ago

Apparently the spam was deleted. (Or eaten.)

• Kyle
    6 years ago

Is one required to get a nursery license to sell plants from a hobby garden. I'm not a nursery.

Just have seeds and extra plants fron digging/dividing. I know ebay's guidelines but they don't mention requiring a license.

• Liz (Virginia z6b)
    6 years ago

You probably need a license or permit of some kind. The requirements should be listed on your state's Dept of Agriculture website.

• chippedchinaplate
    6 years ago

There are many Facebook groups that you can sell and trade plants on.

• Dave
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Craigslist works too. I sold my 6 foot schefflera on there a couple weeks back and got $50 for it.

Paid $12 at Lowes 1 1/2 years prior. Though, it was only a foot tall then.

• Kyle
    6 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I guess i have more research to do.

• Kyle
    6 years ago

Thanks, gentdirga! Going to check it out!

• gentdirga
    6 years ago

My previous link disappeared for some reason. You can try selling at gardeneur.com (https://gardeneur.com). It is a marketplace for for local garden enterpreneurs where you can buy and sell plants/flowers you proudly grow in your garden. Unlike Craigslist, you don't need to keep re-posting your listings, You don't have to worry about no-show buyers (because they pre-paid online), you can connect with other gardeners and build reputation through online reviews, and best of all we feel good because we help reduce carbon footprints.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

The link has disappeared because you seem to be promoting a personal business.....in this and other threads.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?