Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are my ZZ plant stems so stretched?

Posted by nathanblair Utah (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 18:37

When I bought my ZZ plant, there were leaves growing very low on the stem. Since I brought the plant to my office, the stems grow much longer and the leaves start over halfway up the stem? Why do the leaves not grow closer together or further down the stem anymore? Lack of light? I'm in an office with mediocre artificial light and no windows.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are my ZZ plant stems so stretched?

The whole thing is the leaf, The parts are the rachis, petiolule and the leaflet. The rachis is the stem, what you are referring to as the "leaf" is a leaflet and the tiny stem holding them together is the petiolule.

Two things come to mind, one is that it is too dry, ZZ plants in nature come from moist environments not dry ones and the other is there is not enough light so the rachis elongate (referred to as "etiolated")They do not need full sun but still need light. These, for some reason are often sold as impervious to neglect or abuse but they are not.

The shorties look ok, maybe it was just the change in location that messed with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here