Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollym123_gw

can you suggest some good houseplants for me?

hollym123
13 years ago

Hi, all. I just moved out on my own and I would like to get some houseplants to decorate my house. I have no idea what to get.

Can anyone suggest houseplants that can stay inside in a pot year-round and are not poisonous to cats? I honestly don't mind if eating them will just upset my cats' tummies temporarily or that they would need to eat tons of it to get sick (the ASPCA list includes plants like this), I just want to stay away from the plants that can make them really sick in small quantities (like lilies, etc). I plan to spray any plant that comes into my house with bitter apple, just in case, so there's no way they're going to want to eat huge quantities of plants.

I'm interested in plants that can be grown in smallish (4-6 inch) pots on windowsills and counters, and larger plants as well. If you could suggest a small plant with pink flowers that would work in my brightly-lit bathroom, that would be absolutely awesome.

I have a miniature rose in a small pot on a windowsill...I know I will probably have to plant it outside eventually (though, is it possible to keep one indoors in a 4-6 inch pot?)

I would like to know what plants I can keep inside in pots year-round. I have some African violets and a spider plant, too, but other than that, I'm completely lost.

Thank you SOOOOOO much!

Comments (20)

• crazytbone
    13 years ago

Hollym,

Personally, I love jades. They are low maintenance, and my cats leave it alone. I have a cat and a kitten. The kitten is very mischevous and likes to mess with my other plants. I've lost two spider plants and a lithop because of her.

Sanseverias also make great indoor plants. They can survive ANYWHERE.

I hope this helps :)

Al

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Hi Holly...a few questions. Which direction does your bathroom window face?
    Would you say the room has low, medium or high humidity?

How long have you had the rose and AV's, and how are they doing? Do they bloom?

Are you familiar with Gesneriads? There's a pink-flowering Lipstick Plant (Aeschyanthus) called 'Pink Thai.' Actually there are a several Lipsticks with pink flowers.
    The only problem is, when Aeschyanthus mature they look best hanging.
    There's another Gesneariad called, Nematanthus, 'Gold Fish.' Flowers are orange..this Gesneariad doesn't grow large, stands erect. Flowers resemble little gold fish.

Epcisia's are beautiful. They stay small..Grown mainly for leaves, but also have pretty flowers. They have different colored leaves and flowers, depending on type.
    They can be kept in small pots..they love humidity.

You mentioned African Violets...Have you ever visited an African Violet Nursery? There are numerous varieties..light, medium or dark green leaves, variegated leaves..Flowers of all colors, single, semi-double and double blooms. Minis, standards and large varieties.

Ming Aralia is a slow-grower, can be kept in a small pot, 'bonsai' for years.

Are you seeking a tropical or succulent plant. Flowering, fragrant, variegated, green, etc..Toni

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Hi Holly...a few questions. Which direction does your bathroom window face?
    Would you say the room has low, medium or high humidity?

How long have you had the rose and AV's, and how are they doing? Do they bloom?

Are you familiar with Gesneriads? There's a pink-flowering Lipstick Plant (Aeschyanthus) called 'Pink Thai.' Actually there are a several Lipsticks with pink flowers.
    The only problem is, when Aeschyanthus mature they look best hanging.
    There's another Gesneariad called, Nematanthus, 'Gold Fish.' Flowers are orange..this Gesneariad doesn't grow large, stands erect. Flowers resemble little gold fish.

Epcisia's are beautiful. They stay small..Grown mainly for leaves, but also have pretty flowers. They have different colored leaves and flowers, depending on type.
    They can be kept in small pots..they love humidity.

You mentioned African Violets...Have you ever visited an African Violet Nursery? There are numerous varieties..light, medium or dark green leaves, variegated leaves..Flowers of all colors, single, semi-double and double blooms. Minis, standards and large varieties.

Ming Aralia is a slow-grower, can be kept in a small pot, 'bonsai' for years.

Are you seeking a tropical or succulent plant. Flowering, fragrant, variegated, green, etc..Toni

• marquest
    13 years ago

Fire Flash Chlorophytum amaniense. It is in the same family as Spider plant with color.

I have one that and it is not picky and a easy plant.

(this is a pic from google I cannot find a pic of my plant)
    {{gwi:75029}}

Christmas Cactus. I am not sure about growing indoors because I do put mine out all summer in the shade and bring it inside in the Fall and I get blooms every year. I understand that it is the amount of light is what makes it blooms so maybe it does not need the outdoor treatment to bloom.

{{gwi:75030}}

• sunnysideuphill
    13 years ago

My CHristmas cactus is indoors except for a few months in summer. It blossoms several times a year - it was a Halloween cactus and then a Christmas cactus this year, and it looks like it is working up to being an Easter cactus. Very easy; filtered light in a westfacing window.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

And I was going to tell you your plant is just beautiful Marquest!lol.

Where can one get a Fire Flash? Now I want one.

Hi Toni!!!~)

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Marquest, Fireflash is a beautiful plant, 'like Mike, I was going to compliment yours, lol,' but Holly is looking for plants that will remain in pots no larger than 6".

Sunny..what is a Halloween Cactus? lol..Do you mean Thankgsiving Cactus? Are you saying one holiday cactus changed from Thanksgiving/Halloween, to Christmas to Easter Cactus? that's impossible..lolol.
    Leaves of a Thanksgiving/Christmas Cactus differ..Easter Cactus flowers and leaves look nothing like the other two.

Here's a Thanksgiving Cactus

{{gwi:75031}}

This is an Easter Cactus..buds weren't opened, but check out leaves and buds.

{{gwi:75032}}

Howdy Mike...hope you find a Fire Flash. :) Toni

• marquest
    13 years ago

It grows so slow for me Toni I thought she could keep it in 6" pot for 2 years.

You all made me feel so bad I had to take a pic of my Fire Flash. LOL It is looking kind of sad because I have not really cared much for it this winter. I have been on the road so much. But even with abuse it seems to keep kicking.
    {{gwi:75033}}

Mike I got mine at HD about 5 years ago. Accents for Home and Garden did have it and that was where I was going to order from until I found it at HD.

http://www.accentsforhomeandgarden.com/catalog.html

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Marquest. You're right, they are semi-slow-growing. My FF has been in the same 8" pot 5-6 years, possibly longer.
    Seems many here pot in LARGE containers.. Heck, I've seen FF at HD in 10" plastic pots. Of course, HD over-pots so they can charge more money. lol.
    The only reason my guy is in an 8" container is I potted two FF's in the same pot. Different times.
    Two summers ago, while hauling plants outside, I set the FF on an upturned pot. The pot was in front of the hot water vent. (that goes outside.' I didn't see hot steam gushing out of the vent, at first.
    It couldn't have been more than 10 minutes I noticed the steam aiming directly at my poor FF. I hurried over, sure enough, the steam burned foliage..the smaller FF wilted terribly..the larger had marks that looked like frost-bite.
    Thankfully, I was able to save the larger, but removed and tossed the smaller.

As soon as plants are set outside, I'm going to unpot the FF, check rootball size to see if the 8" pot is too big. If it is, the solo FF is going in a smaller pot with drainage holes..current pot is w/o holes.

Marquest, your FF is gorgeous!! So green and vibrant orange. It's nicer than the pic you posted the other night. lol.

Is the pot shallow? How much sun and ferilizer does it get? What type of soil? Has yours ever bloomed? Mine did once..the flower isn't much, but still nice when a plant blooms. It grows a long, 2-3' stalk, at the very top of the stalk are tiny white flowers.
    I'm glad you decided to snap a pic..Very nice..Toni

• marquest
    13 years ago

Thank you Toni. I liked the pic I borrow better because I thought it showed the fire more than my pic.

I brought all the plants that HD had that year. I gave one to my Mom, one to my best friend and I kept 2. They were 1.00 they looked bad but the pots were pretty I thought if they died we would have nice pots. They were in Blue 4" ceramic pots. LOL I killed one my mother's is still alive my BFF killed her plant. I did not know it liked so much moisture. Once I realized it likes moisture it started to grow.

You know how I love to co-pot. I have a bulb of the Armaryllis I posted about that I love. I hope it will survive and bloom. Imagine this orange bloom with FF at its feet,

{{gwi:75034}}

Answers to your questions........

I have it in a 8" ceramic pot it is not shallow and there is no drainage holes. The soil is my Black Gold and I feed it with VF-11 and epsom salt. I lean on these two things for my plants. As I said I do not have a lot of time for plant care and the ES and VF seem to help with growth and color. ES makes my hostas color pop and it seems to do the same for my indoor plants.

I did see the flower last summer. Did you notice it had a slight fragrance? It was very slight but it smelled nice.

• marquest
    13 years ago

Hollym, this will fulfill your want of small and pink blooms. The blooms look white in the pic but they are pink and very pretty against the purple leaves. It also grows good in a window.

Oxalis...You can usually pick them up very inexpensive at the grocery stores now because they are a St. Patrick Day promotion plant.'
    {{gwi:75036}}

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Marquest...I like your FF better than the stock pic..I'd have to go back to see how much 'fire' lol, that one had, but your 'fire' is vivid..stems are deep orange.

Aren't 1.00 plants great? lol. I'm shocked your HD reduced cost..Our HD tosses so many plants, rather than place on sale.
    HD gets reimbursed...they found they saved money by tossing instead of reducing..When I worked at HD, I couldn't believe the number of plants that were trashed..

Does the blue ceramic containers have drainage? You're right, even if the plant died, you have a pot that probably would cost 7.00 or more, depending on size.

So, the FF is one you got for 1.00?? You did a great job. HD doesn't reduce nice-looking plants. What irks me is, like I said, our HD doesn't reduce. Yet, they sell buggy, dying plants at original price.

Marquest, I've never seen an orange Amaryllis flower..It's beautiful! It IS an Amaryllis, right? Reminds me of a Lily..beautiful.
    Did you repot the Amy bulb with the FF, or planning on adding in the future? It'd be some setup!

One nursery I order from sends free seeds/bulbs per order. One year they sent mini Amaryllis bulblets..
    I didn't think they'd grow, so I tossed them in the soil with an Epi, forgot all about them. This happened more than 10 yrs ago.
    In the past, the bulbs would send out, blade-like foliage. Then, a few pink flowers. Last summer, they really grew.
    Here's a pic..

{{gwi:75038}}

It would have been nice if Epi's bloomed the same time mini Amaryllis did. Just as Amaryllis flowers started to fade, the first Epi bud formed.

I have two bottles of VF-11 bought last summer..think I'll give it a try..it is a fertilizer, right? Can it be used with other fertilizers? Do you add in soil or foliar feed?

Marquest, I really don't remember if FF blooms were fragrant. What is the plant w/red leaves to the right of your Oxalis? Begonia?

Holly, Marquest's suggestion about Purple Oxalis is an excellent idea. I've tried green and variegated Oxalis, but no luck..Purple are better suited.
    {{gwi:69228}}
    Go for it..Toni

• marquest
    13 years ago

Do you think we frightened Holly, LOL!!

Toni the Army is in the pot if you look close the left side you can see the leaves. I put a small bulb in as a test. I did offer to send you a bulb when our weather warms up. It makes a lot of babies and it blooms a lot.

Yes that is my FF 1.00 HD find. The ceramic pot did not have drainage. They did a pot in pot the ceramic as a decorative 10" pot. It had a band of orange to compliment FF. I used the pot for another plant on the patio. Most of my pots do not have drainage.

VF-11 is suppose to be used to water your plants with no fert. I keep a bottle of water and a squirt bottle made up at all times. As I walk by the plants and they need water it is ready. If the leaves look bad I give them a squirt, I only use fert on my blooming plants that need bloom booster.

I like your surprise lily, Epi combo. That is a idea stealing moment. I have some that someone sent me in a trade. LOL

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Marquest..had to make dinner..

I don't know where Holly is hiding..sometimes people start a thread and never return. lol.

Don't see the Amaryllis...which pic do you mean? The one with the orange flower or Oxalis?
    You still haven't told me the name of the red leaf plant
    Is it a secret? lol

Ohh, the ceramic pot is a 10"?? That IS a deal!! I assumed it was a 4-5" pot. Heck, I'd have bought every last pot @ that price..Think you said you did..
    There are people who believe inexpensive plants die. I disagree. I won't buy a plant with Mealy though.
    Many plants were .99 plus tax. Small, 3"-4". I'd buy 2 or 3, pot together, and be patient. My D. Madagascar Palm was 1.00 x 2..Potted two MP in one pot..One green w/red edge, the other pink and green. It now stands 6-7' tall.

Most of my home-made dish gardens don't have drainage either, but we can't utter a word to people starting out. Shh..lol

I don't understand..Is VF-11 a fertilizer or not? Do you mix w/water or straight? If it's fertilizer, won't it spoil?

Thanks..The Amar/Epi combo was a big surprise to me, too. I forgot I tossed the bulbs with the Epi. Heck, didn't even make holes, just threw them on top of soil. lol..

My FF was an enigma, too. While grocery shopping, I saw the FF, but had no idea what it was. I placed in the shopping cart, but at the last minute set it back on the shelf. It was the one and only FF.
    After I got home, that plant was on my mind. It became an obsession. So back to the store I went..it was gone! I looked everywhere..no dice. I went home, disappointed.
    Two weeks later, went grocery shopping again. I always look at their plants for something rare, they usually have the same plants.
    Sure enough, I was about to walk away, empty-handed, when I saw a 'flash' of orange. My heart stopped. I hurried to the plant, and guess what it was? The FF. Had to be the same one I picked up two wks before. This time, I grabbed it up, and home it came. I was meant to keep the FF..I feel it. What's funny is, while grocery shopping that same day, 3 different women, strangers, walked up to me to admire the FF. I thought they'd pull it from my cart. lol.
    It was a couple/few wks before I came across the name here on GW. Who'd have guessed Chlorophytum???

Oh brother, I talk a lot..lol..Sorry, Toni

• marquest
    13 years ago

Someone posted a pic of FF on here and I had to have it too. I bet we both saw the same one.LOL I hate to order plants but I was willing if I could not find it locally. I love plants that have pretty leaves.

VF-11 is like Superthrive. You mix a tablespoon to a gallon of water. Since I have been leaving a mix around the house at least a week at a time and my plants seem to love the stuff I do not think it spoils. LOL

The Army is in the pot with the FF. The leaf is green so you probably cannot see it because it is the same color as FF it just does not have any orange. I hope it blooms this year. I think they are going to be pretty together.

I forgot the pink plant is the begonia. Here are the ones I have. I do not know the name of them only the Escargo that its on is way out to play in the snow. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Begonia

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Afternoon Marquest...It's not impossible, we probably saw the same FF, and had to have it. lol.

I know what you mean about plants w/pretty leaves..Lately, I'm leaning towards variegated, including succulents..they either have to be deep red or variegated..of course, when I see something that draws me, it ends up in my cart..locally or online..lol

I use ST regularly..Wonder if both ST and VF are used if it will have bad consequences. (not at the same time.) I add ST in soil not leaves.
    A few yrs ago I was led to believe VF was a fertilizer. (from the seller.) Everyone here on GW boasted of its great results. After viewing plants treated w/VF, I agreed. Now I don't know what to do. Most plants got ST'd last wk.

Do you have other Amary's? I'd like to get a variegated..so pretty, but difficult locating, and cost a fortune. If you have other Amary's, what color are their flowers? They're beautiful plants, when in bloom, but take a lot of room. Something I'm without. Besides, when I had Amary's, one of my dogs or birds would knock the one in bud/bloom down, breaking stalks..Never failed. lol.

I scrolled up to look at your FF pic..is the Amary a baby? I see blade-like leaves in the front side of the pot..Is that it? If so, is it a mini?
    Maybe I'm seeing something else..

Marquest, your Begonias are beautiful. I adore your Escargot. I think the red Begonia is called Venitian..not sure if spelling is correct..Venitians are the prettiest of the reds. Think mine died, have to check.
    Your Rex is outstanding, too.

I plan on getting a few more red Aglaonemas from Thailand as soon as temps warm. I jotted a huge selection of Aglaos, but can't possibly afford the complete list, lol. What I'll do is buy a couple/few at a time.
    There's one more Hoya I want, and a second list of succulents.
    I wish Fl's citrus ban would end..The last citrus tree was purchased in 2006, I think. A couple died, so I'd like to replace them. One is Buddha's Hand. I also want a couple citrus w/variegated leaves.

I also love Calatheas/Marantas, etc. There are a few I'd like. lol..After these lists are completed, I'll hold off buying more plants unless something is so striking I have to have it..

Can't wait till temps warm up. Plants that go out are tree Gardenia and Christmas/Thanksgiving/Easter Cacti. Toni

• marquest
    13 years ago

"I scrolled up to look at your FF pic..is the Amary a baby? I see blade-like leaves in the front side of the pot..Is that it? If so, is it a mini?"

Yes Toni that is it. It is not a mini I put a baby in the pot to see if it will grow and bloom in the pot with FF.

I mixed some ST in the water with the VF. I think all these type of plant food are like people supplements. LOL It is not like Miracle gro ferts.

I also think if you have perfect soil and sunlight, perfect water habits, only use water with no chemicals etc. None of these supplements would be necessary. Since I do not have all that just as I know I do not eat perfect I take supplements and I give my plants supplements. That's my story and I am sticking to it,

You have a list???? LOL I do not have a want list I buy as I see.

Escargot is down to one almost dead leaf. It comes and goes. I am over him. He can do whatever he wants. Like I said I am ready to throw it out in the snow.

This is the other plant that is driving me to drink. I do not have time for problem plants. Dottie is not playing nice.
    {{gwi:75040}}

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Hey Marquest. Didn't see you reposted.

What size Amary bulb was it? Mini Amary bulbs are less than an inch. .
    When they sent the freebie Amary bulbs, they looked dried out..I thought, what the heck, then tossed with the Epi.
    I'm curious how yours turns out. Please post pics when it's larger.

Great, after seeing your plants, and since you use both VF and ST, I'll do the same..now if only we got sun..lol. Or maybe it doesn't matter..since VF isn't a fertilizer it shouldn't matter.
    I'm grateful you told me. Last wk I ST'd Hoyas. I was planning on using VF thinking it was a fertilizer. Big dilemma. Do I use a third product, a fertilizer, too?

My plants and pets eat better than I do. lol. I eat 1.5 meals per day..the puter takes so much time..lol..When working on plants, forget the .5. It's worse in spring when working on the outside garden AND indoor plants. Some days I don't eat anything..maybe a bowl of cereal and a popsicle. lol.
    Since your story is working, I agree, stick with it..like they say, don't fix something that isn't broken.

Marquest, I usually don't keep lists..like you, if I see something I like, and it's affordable, I get it.
    But last summer I found four succulent nurseries that sell gorgeous plants. I spent a good amount of time reading and studying each succulent, choosing those I liked. Same with a nursery in Thailand..I adore red Aglaonemas. He has the most beautiful Ag's ever, at very reasonable prices. They're very healthy. Found this guy in 2009, took a chance ordering overseas..They're doing fantastic. So, I went through his site, 'took over an hour,' lol, and jotted those I liked.

Give your Begonias time. Especially your beautiful Escargot. Do you ST Begonias?

Dottie and cousins, most Roseo Picta Calatheas are difficult. Don't think I have any RP types left. They died. I tried Cynthia and Cora a few years ago, but gave up..I have Cals but stay away from RP.

My fav Cals/Sro/Ctants are Peacock, Tri-Color, C. Rufibarba and, darn, can't think of the name..it's leaves look like snakes. lol.

{{gwi:75041}}

{{gwi:75042}}

Have you ever tried STromanths or ctenanthes, sp? They have beautiful colors, and hardier than Cals.

Last year I bought the most beautiful Prayer Plant/Maranta ever. It was in a 4" pot, and needed water every couple days..Well, during Christmas, the area was blocked, and I forgot about it..It's now a goner. Its stems were over a foot long. Colors outstanding..doubt I'll ever find this type again.

Marquest, btw, your Cal looks fine to me. Or is that a summer pic? What size is the pot and do you let soil dry a little between waterings in winter? They love humid air, but not wet feet. Toni

• Moosetrackz
    12 years ago

Wandering Jew (Tradescantia zebrina) is a great house plant. Its easy to care for and I love the purple and green colored leaves. With the right lighting it also sprouts pretty little white flowers. It looks great in a hanging basket. The cuttings also root incredibly easily. Ive grown at least 20 new baby plants from cuttings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wandering Jew

• larry_b
    12 years ago

Hello Holly,

If you are able to grow African violets may I suggest a streptocarpus. They are closely related to violets and enjoy the same environment. They do get a little larger than an African violet, but you can find some compact ones. Try the The Violet Barn. Look under streptocarpus and look in the descriptions for compact growth.

Larry