Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Check out this new plant at Lowe's...

puglvr1
12 years ago

I was at Lowe's today and noticed they had pink poinsettia...or so I thought? But, actually its called "Pick me Pink" and they are selling/promoting it for Valentine's Day with a heart stick on the plant.

Below are the pictures I took at Lowe's...and after some research I found out this new plant is a cross between a Poinsettia and Euphorbia pulcherrima. At least I think its new? I've never seen these before today...is anyone familiar with this plant? Below is the info I found on the web as well.

It sure looks like poinsettia to me...Except I've never seen them sold in February! They are very pretty though!

{{gwi:75122}}

{{gwi:75124}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Costa Farms...

Comments (53)

• marquest
    12 years ago

Rhizo, that is funny. Marketing is a wonderful thing. People are so easy to be lead. If you tell them they will believe.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hey Pug,

Cool pix, great color, thanks for posting this.

Look again at the link's description, it's a cross btwn TWO different Euphorbias, one of which is pulch...

"Cross-pollination of a Poinsettia, Euphorbia pulcherrima, with a seedling of the uncultivated Euphorbia cornastra"

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Christopher, there is a green Poinsettia called Euphorbia dentata or common name Green Poinsettia. lol.

Pug, long time no see..hope you're okay...

Hi everyone. Toni

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ahh...thanks Pirate Girl for pointing that out! You are correct!

It is very pretty and quite lovely for Valentine's Day, something different from the traditional Roses.

Hey Toni, Great to see you as well. All's well, hope you're doing great too! Green poinsettia, who would have thunk it,lol...of course when you grow them as house plants they are green around 10 months a year. Or is Euphorbia dentata different, Toni?

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Life is okay..you know, WINTER BLUES. :(

E. dentata is a Euphorbia, annual herb. It's considered invasive/weed in some areas. Native to North and South America. Hardier than P pulcherima.

Probably a species or sub of Poinettia pulcherima.

Pug, I'm getting info from the net. Although I think Poins are very pretty, I rarely buy them. Last Christmas I found a variegated Poin at Walmart so had to have it, lol.
    It's still alive, but I cut it down to the soil line. If it lives, so be it, if not, oh well.

I've never been successful w/Poins, though I haven't really tried either..
    Although they say the sap isn't poisonous, I need more proof..birds ya know? :)

Accents has a Euphorbia called P. pulcharima..Its leaves look completely different than a standard Poin. I almost bought one last year, but after reading it was Poinsettia decided against it.

Rhizos story is funny. A little prompting, or to be blunt, BS'ing, people will fight to have one. Add a decoration and prices goes up.
    Ever see he zillion and one new gadgets on tv, those we can't live without?? LOL..They must sell.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

There are many (hundreds?) of Euphorbia pulcherrima hybrids. Some are more marketable than others. This particular cross, with a wild poinsettia, has produced those pretty, narrow bracts.

They clearly can't call it a 'Pink Poinsettia' and expect it to sell on Valentine's Day!

• ronalawn82
    12 years ago

puglvr1, I had a look at the 'Pick me Pink' at Lowe's and here.My opinion is that it looks so much like the traditional Christmas plant that Poinsettia will lose its dramatic effect at Christmas.
    However, I am cynical enough to depend upon commerce to condition us to their alternative.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Rona. Are care instructions for Pink Poinettia 'link you posted' the same as Poins sold around Christmas? Thanks, Toni

• ronalawn82
    12 years ago

puglvr1, I have this unusual habit of addressing the OP; but to answer hopefulauthor's question, I am not sure because:

1. The "Christmas" plant has been intensively bred for its use as a seasonal plant; and a care program has been drawn up to suit that purpose also.
    2. I suspect that the new hybrid will be more versatile as to the duration of color and day length parameter. We may be able to treat it as a recurring annual - if you know what I mean.
      Therefore I would treat it to hold on to its leaves (bracts) for as long as possible. Fertilizer after cutting back at the end of the cycle. (who knows when?), regular pinching back to encourage bushing out and ensuring that it gets the 'normal' night/day cycle until it colors up. Again, who knows when?
      Sorry to sound so vague.
  • birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Ronalawn82..I don't understand why you addressed a reply to Pug instead of me? lol. Toni

• ronalawn82
    12 years ago

I always address the OP. because that is how my mom taught me; and it helps me to keep from straying too far from the original question or topic.
    Ron(ald)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

Hi, Nance! The plant's a cool find. Really just wanted to say hey. Give Max an extra for me, please? ;-)

Al

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Ronald, your mom taught you to address the OP when talking on GW?? :)

As long as a question relates to the Subject of Posting, there isn't any conflict. Toni

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Al! Will do...Max's love the extra attention :o)

Hi Toni and Ron...it is a cool plant, maybe I'll stop by the day after Valentine's Day and see if they marked it down,lol...I'll let you know.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Hey Pug..Why is Max getting extra attention? Little cutie.

Prices will probably be marked down if it's sold as a Valentine's Day plant.

Oh oh, a new plant for Pug..lol.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hi Pug,

Just wanted to say hello and it looks like you stumbled into the markerters world of having plants for every holiday..lol.. I do wonder if they will come down in price after Valentines's day? Please keep us posted...

Hope all is well in Beautiful Florida!!! Lucky Lady!!! : )

Take care,

Laura

• ronalawn82
    12 years ago

puglvr1, sorry! Nothing trumps Mrs. Persaud's admonition to her No.1 son.
    OK! Maybe I do have a warped sense of humor.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Laura, nice to see you! I will definitely keep you posted if they mark it down. Its been a pretty warm winter for us, although we've had 3 mornings of freezing in January...we've been 10 degrees warmer than normal so far. Hoping for
    NO more freezes for us this winter!

Toni, Max loves any attention he can get and an extra "scratch or pet" he welcomes,lol...

Ron, I'm a little confused by your last comment. But, it doesn't take much to do that. Ha, ha!

Max has a hard life, doesn't he...
    {{gwi:75126}}

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

AWWW, Max and his baby.

Pug's son and grand-child.. :)

Oh yeah, a real hard life..The Life of Riley..lol

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Ah, Max, that little monster! ;-)
    Hey, Nancy!

Josh

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lol Toni...Yup, a real hard life!

Hey Josh! He can be a little monster, but only once in a while :o)

• marquest
    12 years ago

Aww he is so cute. He could never be a monster.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks marquest!

• rattlebox
    12 years ago

Euphorbia x 'Pick Me Pink'
    {{gwi:75128}}

I picked up one of these plants as an impulse "add on" to my wife's Valentine's Day. Thanks ronalawn82 for the Costa Farms link (the farm that produces this cultivar). I was looking for info, and thought I'd share with the group a bit of what I found.

Per Costa Farm's website: "The Euphorbia hybrid 'Pick Me Pink' was created as a hybrid of the genus Euphorbia, resulting from the cross-pollination of a Poinsettia, Euphorbia pulcherrima, with a seedling of the uncultivated Euphorbia cornastra." [Apparently white crossed with red in Euphorbia, as in Hibiscus and Four O'Clocks, makes pink.]

Googling "Euphorbia cornastra" brought up this url. Euphorbia cornastra was near the bottom of the page, with some interesting info:

"This lovely species is restricted to a tiny area in the state of Guerrero, Mexico. It has a much more compact habit than E. pulcherrima and grows at elevations that average about 1000 meters higher.

"The beautiful white inflorescence displays of Euphorbia cornastra appear in the summer rainy season, rather than the winter dry season as in the Christmas poinsettia.

"Because it flowers in the rainy season, E. cornastra always has leaves when it flowers. The dark green leaves contrast strongly with the brilliant white bracts."

Earlier in the site was this remark [referring to E. pulcherrima]: "Wild poinsettias often flower when leafless or nearly so."

Wild E. cornastra
    {{gwi:75130}}

Wild E. pulcherrima
    {{gwi:75132}}

Since E. pulcherrima blooms mid-winter, and E. cornastra blooms mid-summer, I am curious to see when this "Pick Me Pink" hybrid cultivar will bloom when naturalized in my yard.

Also of note, since E. cornastra grows naturally at an elevation ~3000 feet higher than E. pulcherrima, this cultivar may prove to be more cold-hardy than the Christmas poinsettia we are used to.

The pink color of this cultivar is particularly intense; and while the colored bracts are smaller they are much more numerous than typical Christmas poinsettias. Since my wife really likes poinsettias, she should really like this one!

Hopefully the price will drop after Valentine's Day for those of you who want one!

• ronalawn82
    12 years ago

puglvr1, thanks to rattlebox for the additional useful information.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great info rattlebox, thanks!

Walmart had these yesterday marked down to $2.25...but Holy Smokes! They all looked like they were run over by a semi,lol...NONE of them looked good enough to buy I'm sorry to say.

Lowe's sold out by the time I got there :o( Maybe next year?

• summersunlight
    12 years ago

Thanks for adding that interesting info Rattlebox. I didn't see any of these in the stores where I am (far north USA) but I wont be surprised if they start showing up here in the next few years.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Ecke Ranch video

Here is a link that might be useful: YouTube video: Ecke's Luv U Pink Euphorbia

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the Video Lovetheyard!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

pugluvr, your dog is SOOOOO CUTE!! Give him a big hug for me!

• rattlebox
    10 years ago

I know this is an old link, but wanted to add an update for anyone searching the internet for info on the hybrid Euphorbia 'Pick Me Pink'. In a previous post, I gave the info that while Poinsettias (Euphorbia pulcherrima) bloom mid-winter during the dry season, the other parent of the hybrid 'Pick Me Pink' (Euphorbia cornastra) blooms in mid-summer during the rainy season.

This past fall I had well-grown plants of both 'Pick Me Pink' and of red Poinsettia. The colored bracts began developing at exactly the same time (November?), were well developed through Christmas, and didn't look shabby until the end of March (well past Valentine's Day).

Some of the colored bracts are still present (mid-May), but are now discolored with green, and have been left behind by new spring growth.

The question still remains, will 'Pick Me Pink' bloom during our summer rainy season? Last year was inconclusive. A couple times the plants started developing pink at the growth points, but the pink disappeared within a week or two. The plants, however, were not in a good situation and were losing older leaves from occasionally drying out. This year, they are in-ground in a good spot and are growing happily. I'll add another update when I see how they develop this rainy season.

• passionlove
    10 years ago

Rattlebox please do let us know. I have had mine since last February and I have yet to see it flower again. Same thing, shows some signs of pink on the tips and then grows into green leaves. I live in FL and we have a rainy hot summer season again. Not sure if that is the issue. Mine is probably too wet, though it seems to be thriving, just not flowering.

• rattlebox
    10 years ago

Here is one of my 'Pick Me Pink' at the end of July, deep into our rainy season. Shows some nice color, but no indication of getting ready to bloom.

• rattlebox
    10 years ago

Here is one of my 'Pick Me Pink' plants at the end of October. Clearly, bloom heads are developing. Looks like the bloom-time follows the pattern of the E. pulcherrima parent rather than the E. cornastra parent.

Personally I am disappointed. There are plenty of nice Poinsettias for wintertime. I would rather 'Pick Me Pink' bloomed mid-summer. Oh, well.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    my red form poinsettias are in full flower now . Why i don't know they've always peaked right on Dec .25 in the past lol
    the whites on the other hand are just now starting to color
    and no flowers as yet. right on cue.
    oh well they go with my ground hog day cactus.July 4th easter lily and labor day cactus lol gary

• pelargonium_gw
    10 years ago

In Norway these pink poinsettias are now sold as "Princettia"...

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rattlebox...Cool Pics of that pink one!!

Gary, have any pics of yours? Love to see it...

My Red poinsettia that is just barely coloring up now is getting beat up in this 25+ mile an hour wind :o(...its right up against the house so its about as sheltered as it could get...the pot is too big/awkard to bring inside...hoping it won't break any of the branches...

I haven't seen any Pink ones yet this year...I'm sure its coming!

Purple, I missed your post from July, Thanks!! I'll pass it along to Max :o)

• rattlebox
    10 years ago

Update on my last post. Here is a photo of the 'Pick Me Pink' plant shown on my last post (same plant, different angle), This photo shows the plant as of Nov 15th.

I'll try to get a current photo, but the bloom period is coinciding exactly with Poinsettias, just as they did last year.

I already have too many plant projects planned and in the works, but I may try to self-pollinate the 'Pick Me Pink' blooms to see if I can get seed. That is, if these hybrids are not sterile.

Statistically, color should sort out 50% pink, 25% red and 25% white. I wonder how bloom time would genetically sort out.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

puglvr1
    Like you, had very high winds so most of the red was ripped off lol Not much to photograph lol The white has become a chartreuse and the squirrels used it for a gynnasium Poinsettias need a LOT of care through the year which I always seem to neglect. anyway lol
    . Like rattlebox have WAY more projects than I take care of
    have been concentrating on the landscape ,trying to achieve a "rainforest " look . Talk about biting off more than I can chew lol. Oh well gardening is a journey not a destination?? lol
    On a happier note i see a few buds on the C. cactus nothing spectacular BUT will be on time.
    Easter lily has broke dormancy so looks like Valentine lily this year lol Maybe next year I'll have something worth photographing?? gary

• rattlebox
    10 years ago

Here is one more photo, same 'Pick Me Pink' plant as above, one month later (Dec 12th). More bracts have developed, older bracts have faded to a pale pink. Wish I'd fertilized for a more robust plant and larger "bloom" display (Note to self: file this thought away for next year).

Of course, some branches are just beginning to develop colored bracts, so maybe I can fertilize for a better Valentine's Day display!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rattlebox, that is a Very Nice plant...love those pretty pink blooms!!

My potted Red poinsettia is finally blooming...

• rattlebox
    10 years ago

Nice potted Poinsettia, puglvr1. Looks real Christmas-y! And should look even better by Christmas!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks rattlebox!

• cgilliam
    9 years ago

I was just at our Franklin, TN Home Depot today. Outside in the lawn and garden section I found these beautiful Luv U Pink flowers with no instructions of course on caring for. I purchased one and figured no problem I will find it on the internet. Which lead me to be even more confused. Is this a house plant or yard plant? How long does it bloom? How do you care for? I welcome any advice:)

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

i got one for xmas in fl and i decided to keep it to see if it'll rebloom for summer. i have another short-day length plant that i rebloomed successfully sev times: begonia reiger. so i figured why not try ?
    it has produced new colored bracts for me in march (2 clusters) - i kept some of the older ones (4 total) to keep it going like ronalawn advised in prior post in 2012. it is still developing new flower buds. am waiting to see if those will color up.
    i did not give it any 'dark treatment'.
    it self-branches quite nicely. i still have sev older branches with pink bracts doing well and growing new colored bracts.
    and the way it goes - i think i will get re-bloom in the fall:
    my xmas cactus and begonia reiger (both short-day bloomers) rebloom in the same position west window without special dark treatment, just natural nights. even though i do get some street light.

Here is a link that might be useful: prior post with my pics in jan and march

This post was edited by petrushka on Sun, May 4, 14 at 22:59

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

this is the pic of the fully developed cluster on mar18. it's still going. it's indoors still.
    cgilliam, can you post the pic of your plant?

• caricapapaya
    9 years ago

Hi everybody, . I know this is an old post, . But I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. That plant, which is a hybrid between poinsettias and e cornastra was bred by Ruth Kobayashi at Paul ecke ranch. I started working for her not long after, and worked on some other crosses that I think are actually prettier, . But they aren't available commercially.

Let me know if you get seed, we weren't able to ever get them to set.

The hybrid was created thru embryo rescue, which is a tedious method, but really exciting when it works. I will see if I can find some pics of my hybrids.

They do all bloom under short days, like poinsettias. They are propagated by cuttings and root fairly easily.

As for poinsettias, they exist in almost every color you can think of. It is pretty amazing to see when the breeding greenhouses are in full bloom. What you see at the store is a small fraction of what is out there....all colors, shapes and sizes. I'll have to find my pics if anyone is interested.

Ryan

• Photo Synthesis
    9 years ago

Thanks for your 2â's. With the holidays right around the corner, I was just thinking about this post and these plants not too long ago. I would love to see any photos that you may have of any hybrids.

Personally, I would love it if more nontraditional varieties were actually sold. It gets rather old seeing only the typical poinsettias being sold year after year...

• caricapapaya
    9 years ago

Yeah, I know. I always liked the weirder stuff too. My boss was very selective with what got released if she could help it. In fact, if it were up to her I don't think that hybrid would be available. But sometimes marketing and the higher ups would demand it even though Ruth would say it's not ready.

I'll look for the pics. They are pink too, but the brackets are bigger, and I think I am biased because I did the crosses and the tissue culture work :)

• summersunlight
    9 years ago

I'd be very interested in seeing your photos of unusual poinsettias too. I'm so bored with the standard ones!

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County