Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Selloum Philodendron care

Posted by greattigerdane z5NY (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 08 at 19:37

I recived this cutting today and potted it up in 4' pot which I believe it's a Selloum Philodendron. I was wondering how you take care of yours as far as light & watering.

Selloum Philodendron

hpim0019

Thanks,
Billy Rae

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Selloum Philodendron care

Hey Billy...A 4 foot pot? LOL>.I'm sure you meant 4-inches..
I keep mine in a bright, but no direct sun south window..Because the soil dried fast, I repotted in a 8" no-drainage pot..Once a wk it goes in the sink for a shower, and daily misting..ST once a month, and 2-3 fertilizings in summer.. Selloums grow fairly fast...
Yours is so cute..nice foliage..Toni

o

Thanks a bunch Toni,

Yes, I meant to write 4" pot, not a 4 foot pot, lol and spell "received" correctly, geez!My mind has been on other things as you can tell. Stupid neighbors! Lol.

Anyway, ok, bright light but no direct sun, water when dry right?

Billy Rae

o

Yep, definitely let it get dry before you water again, especially if it's dark and cold in the winter.

o

Ok, thank you watergal, I'll let it dry out.

o

I had a philodendron that was similar to this, very healthy but some of the leaf tips that browned leaked water/sap onto floor so I gave it away. Why did it leak/ drip from the leaves?

o

If it was water dripping from the ends, that's natural and nothing to worry about. It's a process called "guttation" Mainly excess water in the roots that is released.
If it was sappy, or sticky, the plant could have had pest.

Billy Rae

o

Yes it was just water, not sticky. Loved the plant but didn't want it ruining the hardwood floors. Thanks for the response. Do all philodendrons do this?

o

From what I understand, it can happen a lot to plants in the "Aroid Family" such as philodendrons, but there might be some philos that don't do this. Sorry, I don't know which ones.

Billy Rae

o

Guttation can happen with pretty much any large-leaved tropical plant if the temperatures, watering and humidity meet certain conditions. I've seen it on cannas and elephant ears. It is definitely a problem with damaging surfaces.

I have not seen it with small-leaved philodendrons like the common viney ones.

o

Pothos as well can drip water on and off for days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here