Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uniquelydivine

My Anthurium Was Almost Dead...Now Its ALIVE!! And Blooming!!

uniquelydivine
11 years ago

I just wanted to show everyone my Anthurium's journey from beginning to now. It had a tough time adjusting to its new home when I first got it (see how nice I phrased that instead of saying I almost killed it...lol). Now its recovered beautifully and is even blooming!!

Ready for some pics?! OK! Here we go!

So this is a pic of the first day I got it (beautiful)!!

{{gwi:75311}}

After she started suffering...not adjusting very well...*Cry*

{{gwi:75312}}

On the road to recovery...

{{gwi:75313}}

Growing...slowly but surely...

{{gwi:75314}}

After repot...

{{gwi:75315}}

Growing nicely after repot...look at the flowers coming out...*crying tears of joy*

{{gwi:75316}}

Flowers getting taller (look at that beautiful pothos in the background...started as a few clippings..)

{{gwi:75317}}

Now look at the beautiful green leaves and flowers...*sobbing...tears of joy*

{{gwi:75318}}

Up close of the flowers opening today...I'm speechless!!

{{gwi:75319}}

I'm so excited! Words can't express my joy! By the way, the timeline is from October 2011 until now. Took some time but worth the wait, time and effort.

On another note, look at my beautiful African Violet in full bloom!!

{{gwi:75320}}

I know I sound conceited but I'm so happy I just couldn't hold my joy and had to share some pics with my GardenWeb family!!

Leave some comments!!

Comments (20)

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Fabulous!

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

Your plant is looking awesome! Congrats.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

This is awesome! What an amazing recovery. Thanks for sharing your success story!

What kind of light has your improved plant been enjoying?

AV sure is pretty too.

• Enterotoxigenic00
    11 years ago

How nice for you!

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

Great job. My Anthurium actually doubled after it spent a summer outside in mostly shade. Lesson learned.
    I don't do AVs very well. Congrats.

• uniquelydivine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the positive feeback!! Keep them coming!!

Purpleinhopp, honestly I don't know what kind of light its enjoying. The plant is actually in the same place its been since about a month after I first got it. I first had it in a "low light" place and that's when it started suffering. It's been in the same window ever since I moved it. Not sure about direction, probably you can help me figure that out, because I never understood how to determine window direction. My African Violet is right next to the Anthurium.

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

they are supposed to like moderate to high light

11 years ago

Uniquely, when you look at the window by the Anthurium, which way are you facing? If you're looking east, it's an east window. Mine seems pretty happy in a south window at the east corner of the house. It looks out to the porch which has a roof, so it's really more like an east window since it only gets sun in the morning. Not as pretty as yours tho! Why I was curious... the plants fight over the east windows.

• uniquelydivine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purpleinopp, looks like its in a south window...and enjoying it!

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    11 years ago

What a fantastic comeback. Great job with the plants, and great documentation, too.

Amanda

11 years ago

Cool to know, ty!

• uniquelydivine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Amanda and purple...

• uniquelydivine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How's everyone doing? My anthurium is still growing and blooming!

11 years ago

Although I still don't seem to be able to find the perfect spot for it, there are new flowers starting to show at the base of mine. The leaves just never look happy though. Maybe my expectations of a darker green are just wrong, and some leaves are still sunburned from last year of course, they can't recover from that. Guess I should just be glad they're still on the plant.

• wndy_gardenweb
    11 years ago

wow beautiful! Quite the recovery--I'm impressed! I am still waiting for my peace lily to get happy again... when I bought it, it was "blooming" 9/10... it's 3/13 now, and it has only had one "flower" since losing all the original ones... so I'm in awe of your rehabilitation abilities!

- Siobhan

• uniquelydivine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purple, I have two other anthuriums apart from this one (Home Depot sent me a coupon for buy one plant, get one free so I got two for $10! LOL). The color of leaves on those are a lime green color. I guess it depends on the type of anthurium. I'm not an expert in the varieties but I do know that some of them are hybrid plants. Maybe nothing is wrong with your plant at all.

Wndy, I have a big Peace Lily too. I have it at work under artificial light (no windows). It bloomed from when I got it (last April) until August of last year. It hasn't bloomed since then. I don't know what's wrong but my fingers are crossed like yours. Hopefully in the warmer months both mine and yours will start blooming again.

• sunshine_mom
    9 years ago

Hi uniquelydivine. I have an anthurium plant for almost a year now, which had a flower when I first got it in. Since then I haven't gotten any flowers and the new leaves grow slowly. It's placed by the east facing window. I was wondering what is in your potting mix? Perhaps I need to repot with a different mix to get such beautiful result. Thank you.

• uniquelydivine
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello sunshine_mom. So sorry for the late response. I didn't get any email notification so I apologize. I use Fafard Professional Potting Mix. It's available at plant stores. Go to Fafard's website: http://fafard.com/store-finder/ and search for stores nearest to you. I would call them in advance to see if they have the mix available.

Again, I'm so sorry for the late response.

• Gouri Deshpande
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hello uniquelydivine, Wow! So happy to read your post and the journey of your plant. I adopted 2 anthuriums yesterday from this person who did not want to keep them. They are in a really terrible shape. Root bound, dripping wet and almost root rot begun. I have re-potted into a slightly bigger pot with slightly moist potting mix and kept indoors with indirect light. Hoping I can save them (sigh!) Did you fertilize your plant during the recovery phase? Also, how long did the whole process of recovery take?

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals