Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Anthurium Was Almost Dead...Now Its ALIVE!! And Blooming!!

Posted by uniquelydivine 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 20:15

I just wanted to show everyone my Anthurium's journey from beginning to now. It had a tough time adjusting to its new home when I first got it (see how nice I phrased that instead of saying I almost killed it...lol). Now its recovered beautifully and is even blooming!!

Ready for some pics?! OK! Here we go!

So this is a pic of the first day I got it (beautiful)!!

Brooklyn-20111014-00574

After she started suffering...not adjusting very well...*Cry*

Brooklyn-20120201-01425

On the road to recovery...

A10

Growing...slowly but surely...

A9

After repot...

A3

Growing nicely after repot...look at the flowers coming out...*crying tears of joy*

A4

Flowers getting taller (look at that beautiful pothos in the background...started as a few clippings..)

A6

Now look at the beautiful green leaves and flowers...*sobbing...tears of joy*

A7

Up close of the flowers opening today...I'm speechless!!

A8

I'm so excited! Words can't express my joy! By the way, the timeline is from October 2011 until now. Took some time but worth the wait, time and effort.

On another note, look at my beautiful African Violet in full bloom!!

A11

I know I sound conceited but I'm so happy I just couldn't hold my joy and had to share some pics with my GardenWeb family!!

Leave some comments!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Anthurium Was Almost Dead...Now Its ALIVE!! And Blooming!!

Fabulous!

o

Your plant is looking awesome! Congrats.

o

This is awesome! What an amazing recovery. Thanks for sharing your success story!

What kind of light has your improved plant been enjoying?

AV sure is pretty too.

o

Good job! I AM STRUGGLING WITH MY BRAND NEW ANTHURIUM

o

How nice for you!

o

Great job. My Anthurium actually doubled after it spent a summer outside in mostly shade. Lesson learned.
I don't do AVs very well. Congrats.

o

Thanks everyone for the positive feeback!! Keep them coming!!

Purpleinhopp, honestly I don't know what kind of light its enjoying. The plant is actually in the same place its been since about a month after I first got it. I first had it in a "low light" place and that's when it started suffering. It's been in the same window ever since I moved it. Not sure about direction, probably you can help me figure that out, because I never understood how to determine window direction. My African Violet is right next to the Anthurium.

o

they are supposed to like moderate to high light

o

Uniquely, when you look at the window by the Anthurium, which way are you facing? If you're looking east, it's an east window. Mine seems pretty happy in a south window at the east corner of the house. It looks out to the porch which has a roof, so it's really more like an east window since it only gets sun in the morning. Not as pretty as yours tho! Why I was curious... the plants fight over the east windows.

o

Purpleinopp, looks like its in a south window...and enjoying it!

o

What a fantastic comeback. Great job with the plants, and great documentation, too.

Amanda

o

Cool to know, ty!

o

Thank you Amanda and purple...

o

How's everyone doing? My anthurium is still growing and blooming!

o

Although I still don't seem to be able to find the perfect spot for it, there are new flowers starting to show at the base of mine. The leaves just never look happy though. Maybe my expectations of a darker green are just wrong, and some leaves are still sunburned from last year of course, they can't recover from that. Guess I should just be glad they're still on the plant.

o

• Posted by wndy z4b MN (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 1:05

wow beautiful! Quite the recovery--I'm impressed! I am still waiting for my peace lily to get happy again... when I bought it, it was "blooming" 9/10... it's 3/13 now, and it has only had one "flower" since losing all the original ones... so I'm in awe of your rehabilitation abilities!

- Siobhan

o

Purple, I have two other anthuriums apart from this one (Home Depot sent me a coupon for buy one plant, get one free so I got two for $10! LOL). The color of leaves on those are a lime green color. I guess it depends on the type of anthurium. I'm not an expert in the varieties but I do know that some of them are hybrid plants. Maybe nothing is wrong with your plant at all.

Wndy, I have a big Peace Lily too. I have it at work under artificial light (no windows). It bloomed from when I got it (last April) until August of last year. It hasn't bloomed since then. I don't know what's wrong but my fingers are crossed like yours. Hopefully in the warmer months both mine and yours will start blooming again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here