Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mernie_gw

Thick roots showing in spider plant pot

mernie
11 years ago

I was watering my spider plant today and noticed these thick roots coming up from the soil. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Comments (13)

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's nothing to worry about. If you're overly concerned, I'd just add alittle bit more soil to the pot to cover the root. Do you think it might be potbound? Just wondering if maybe it's potbound and beginning to push itself up out of the pot alittle. If not, just adding some soil should be alright.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 20:39

• emerald1951
    11 years ago

HI....spiders do that...they grow big thigh roots and yes they will push themselfs right out of the pot....I used to take them out of the pot and cut away some of the roots and put them back in the pot with new soil....your plant looks very green and healthy and nice white roots....
    linda

• ken2256
    10 years ago

HI, I am interested in finding other plants with big and long white roots for growing hydroponically in my net pots.I am growing the spider this way now and its growing great in fertilized water.Any suggestions. thanks alot

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Ken, is there a circulation system for the water in your setup?

Maranta and Boston ferns make similar things in/on their roots.

Pothos (Epipremnum) and heart-leaf Philodendron can make extensive root systems in water, though I don't know of either forming actual tubers.

• ken2256
    10 years ago

Hi Purple, what i have now is a simple setup , with a container i cut a hole in to allow the 3in net pot sit in my fertilizer solution.In there i am using my aquarium pump to create oxy and keep the water active.seems to be working ok with the spider so far.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Dracaena sanderiana (lucky bamboo) might like that, and any of the others known for not resenting extended periods in water. I might try Peace lily.

There's a hydro forum, though they'll probably tell you this isn't really hydro and you'll say you know that... Do you have the actual aquarium that goes with the pump? Putting the net pots in there would get into an area that's more common, I think, having the foliage coming out, trailing down the sides.

• ken2256
    10 years ago

Hi Purple...Thanks for the info..What i have is just a round plastic container,not an aquarium, but i do have aquariums,I have a few plants in net pots and they take turns getting into the solution every day, because i made it to fit just one net pot.I do have a peace lily but its still in dirt..what i have so far in water are :philodendron,dieffenbachia, and spider, two of those are in those soiless water beads, something else i am trying out .hey thanks, and if you think of others i can try give me a shout.

• ken2256
    10 years ago

Forgot to mention i have a pothos too.

• Jack Mcc
    7 years ago

Hi, I know this is an old post but I have a question about the stem/base on my spider plant. Its very thick and tall
    and has caused the entire plant to start toppling over. Should I cut it back? Or maybe re-pot it deeper?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    7 years ago

Can you post a picture? Spider Plants don't usually produce a 'trunk'. I wonder if you have a Dracaena or similar plant.

• Jack Mcc
    7 years ago

let me know what you think, thank you!

• lmontestella
    7 years ago

Is that mix hard to the touch? It looks like it is & its hardening is causing the plant to bend & maybe break its stem.

Looks way too peaty & like it's become water repellent. I'd suggest you need to correct that mix before you'll resolve anything else.

Lena

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm