Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thick roots showing in spider plant pot

Posted by mernie (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 20:20

I was watering my spider plant today and noticed these thick roots coming up from the soil. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thick roots showing in spider plant pot

I'm pretty sure it's nothing to worry about. If you're overly concerned, I'd just add alittle bit more soil to the pot to cover the root. Do you think it might be potbound? Just wondering if maybe it's potbound and beginning to push itself up out of the pot alittle. If not, just adding some soil should be alright.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 20:39

o

HI....spiders do that...they grow big thigh roots and yes they will push themselfs right out of the pot....I used to take them out of the pot and cut away some of the roots and put them back in the pot with new soil....your plant looks very green and healthy and nice white roots....
linda

o

Yes, this plant makes fat white roots kind of like carrots, they can take up a LOT of space, and will go very deep if they have the chance. You can cut them off to keep the plant in the same pot, or give it a bigger pot (at least untangle and rearrange the roots if you don't want to trim them.) If left crowded in the pot too long, the foliage will start to decline, dead tips, yellowing. So it's not an immediate concern, IMO, but something you should address sometime in the next few months, one way or the other. Trimming the roots can cause some leaves to be compromised, but usually results in so much new growth and babies/flower shoots, that it's not a concern.

You could add a little soil to the surface for now, but I don't think that exposed root will cause any trouble if you don't feel like doing that. When I dig these out of my Mom's yard, and tried to kill them here at my house by tossing them on compost pile, the roots can sit exposed for months and the plants still look fine. Those huge roots store moisture and although it's easily possible to make one of these look bad, they're really really hard to kill.

o

HI, I am interested in finding other plants with big and long white roots for growing hydroponically in my net pots.I am growing the spider this way now and its growing great in fertilized water.Any suggestions. thanks alot

o

Ken, is there a circulation system for the water in your setup?

Maranta and Boston ferns make similar things in/on their roots.

Pothos (Epipremnum) and heart-leaf Philodendron can make extensive root systems in water, though I don't know of either forming actual tubers.

o

Hi Purple, what i have now is a simple setup , with a container i cut a hole in to allow the 3in net pot sit in my fertilizer solution.In there i am using my aquarium pump to create oxy and keep the water active.seems to be working ok with the spider so far.

o

Dracaena sanderiana (lucky bamboo) might like that, and any of the others known for not resenting extended periods in water. I might try Peace lily.

There's a hydro forum, though they'll probably tell you this isn't really hydro and you'll say you know that... Do you have the actual aquarium that goes with the pump? Putting the net pots in there would get into an area that's more common, I think, having the foliage coming out, trailing down the sides.

o

Hi Purple...Thanks for the info..What i have is just a round plastic container,not an aquarium, but i do have aquariums,I have a few plants in net pots and they take turns getting into the solution every day, because i made it to fit just one net pot.I do have a peace lily but its still in dirt..what i have so far in water are :philodendron,dieffenbachia, and spider, two of those are in those soiless water beads, something else i am trying out .hey thanks, and if you think of others i can try give me a shout.

o

Forgot to mention i have a pothos too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here