Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wandering Jew plant

Posted by pippi21 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 20, 10 at 20:35

My wandering Jew plant had cascaded over the pot and was touching the carpet so I cut it back and put some cuttings in water as a friend wanted some saved for him. I had rooted the cuttings in water and they had done well, but today when I went to plant it in a pot for him to take home, the stems kept breaking off; they were so brittle. Should I have just started the cuttings in Rootone instead of water? I know the original plant was started from cuttings from my neighbor's plant. I don't recall how I did that, but we put it outside in the Spring and Summer and it grows crazy wild and wonderful. Any secrets of rooting this plant? I'm about ready to take my original plant outside and just cut it way back and feed it with oscacote and see what happens.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wandering Jew plant

Just stick the cuttings into moderately moist soil, rather than water. I've never had any trouble with getting them to root even without rooting hormone. :3

Since this is a thread on wandering jew, and it would be silly to start another one..

I've got mine in a hanging basket before a window that gets sun all day.. it's this absolutely gorgeous, iridescent purple, but the green stripes on the leaves are beginning to fade.. Should I move it into a less well-lit location? (It's an actual wandering jew, not a fuzzy purple heart.)

Cheers!

N

o

My plant started as cuttings, which rooted in less than four day's time.
I agree with N, root straight in soil. Couldn't be easier.

N, give it a little less light and you should see a difference. Too
much moisture will sometimes cause a faded, washed out look.

Josh

o

Josh,

Will try it! Thanks for the feedback.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here