Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherry Bush ' compact '

Posted by bamboo_turtles (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 21, 10 at 20:37

I repotted Cherry Bush ' compact ' in a bonsai pot about three weeks ago , now it's starting to drop alot of leaves . Are these pouty plants like Ficus and it will refoliate in a few weeks or warmer days ahead ? Or ... ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherry Bush ' compact '

Could you perhaps give us a botanical name? Am guessing no one knows what it is; I don't know that name.

o

Bamboo, do you have a Hanson's Cherry Bush? If so, they're not the easiest plants growing indoors..
The Hanson's Cherry start blooming 'white flowers' around May..fruit are dark purple to black and edible.
They prefer living outdoors, especially in the ground, but also sold as houseplants.
They're used grown as bonsais, which is what led me to believe you're talking about Hansons.

Did you prune/trim its roots before placing in a bonsai pot? If so, your plant is bound to drop leaves. It's now a matter of adapting to its new environment.
If you trimmed roots, did you prune stems, too? Bonsai's need balance. I believe, 1/3rd roots to 1/3rd foliage.

For the time, allow bright light, although Hansens need full sun to develop fruit. But until your plant acclimates, place in bright, indirect sun.
Place in a saucer with stones/pebbles. Shower the entire plant, soil and foliage. 'morning preferably'

Are its leaves yellowing or browning before dropping? Toni

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 23, 10 at 22:43

This plant is probably the very vigorous Eugenia myrtifolia 'compacta' (aka Syzgium paniculatum, and commonly known as dwarf brush cherry). Even if it was Prunus besseyi (bush cherry), there is no reason that when a proper spring repotting and root pruning is performed that the plant would be 'bound' to shed foliage. Look to other cultural issues like watering (too much/too little), over-fertilizing, low humidity, sudden decrease in light levels, or poor timing of the repot (it's difficult to tell if timing is appropriate because you don't indicate where you live - state/USDA zone - in your user info).

If you only acquired the plant 3 weeks ago, it seems like it would have been prudent to let the plant get settled and acclimated to its new surroundings before you undertook a repot. Odds favor the likely cause of the plant shedding foliage as being sudden change (decrease) in light intensity between its former home and its new.

Bonsai need balance? 1/3 roots to 1/3 foliage? What does this mean?

This plant should not be misted, though humidity in the 40-60% range is preferred.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here